PDA

View Full Version : This may sound stupid, but I am really missing Ubuntu!!

fatality_uk
August 10th, 2008, 11:29 PM
After my purchase of a new Dell 530 last weekend, and the nightmare I have had getting Linux onto it (see here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=878166) I am stuck with Vista. While it looks great, it just lacks everything I have come to expect. I have had Ubuntu as my production machine and home PC for the last year. Haven't needed to dual boot. It had all I needed.

In Ubuntu, I can copy a 1GB with ease and still do other things. Vista, forget it. Hogs every resources trying to move that file.

Here's the funny thing. Just after I installed it, I got frustrated because my Belkin wifi dongle wasn't working. I couldn't figure it out! It worked out the box on ubuntu... Oh yeah. Drivers, doh!! So I had to trail a cable all the way downstairs to the router and plug it in to get internet so I could download drivers. How old fashioned :) I mean I have no idea where the cd was. I haven't needed it for 18 months ;)

This box had 2GB of RAM Vista takes 28.5% of it just sitting there. Ubuntu took no where near that!

So here's the deal. I am actually going to take this PC back and get my money back because this WONT take Linux.

*sigh* Sorry for the seemingly random post, but I just want Ubuntu back!!

Newuser1111
August 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Try running Ubuntu in VMware, VirtualBox, or Virtual PC.

EDIT:

This box had 2GB of RAM Vista takes 28.5% of it just sitting there. Ubuntu took no where near that!
I also have 2GB of RAM and Ubuntu is using 70%

EDIT2:
71.1% and going up!

pparks1
August 10th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Are you comfortable putting together a machine? You can probably pick up the parts to make a Linux machine at a very reasonable price. Plus, you can ensure that your parts are going to work with Linux by picking them out yourself.

The box in my sig block runs Ubuntu 8.04 perfectly out of the box. Only had to enable the proprietary NVIDIA driver.

Joeb454
August 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I have an Advent 8315, both Gutsy & Hardy have recognised all hardware perfectly from the Live CD.

I couldn't be happier with it :) I wonder if they would let you insert a Live CD to test the system before buying?

fatality_uk
August 10th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I usually build my machines, but Tesco had this box at a great price. Intel Quad core Q6600, 2gb RAM, multi-card reader and big HD for £260. I could pick up the parts for that, but only just. I am getting lazy in my old age ;) For example, the cheapest I can find a Intel Q6600 is about £110 inc vat plus shipping!

L1_Human
August 10th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Installing Ubuntu on a dell should be an easy task being that dell sells machines with Ubuntu preloaded. You may want to use d.b.a.n. to format the HDD before you try to install Ubuntu.

get DBAN here--> http://www.dban.org/

LaRoza
August 11th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I wonder if they would let you insert a Live CD to test the system before buying?

In Circuit City I was allowed (I didn't ask, but I didn't hide it).

They were actually very interested in it, and we impressed with what I was using (I was using Knoppix to test)

Interestingly, the laptop I bought didn't run the live cd at all.

jeyaganesh
August 11th, 2008, 12:17 AM
I am also having same problem with belkin N wifi adapter in Vista. Internet connection goes off every 10min. But in Ubuntu even belkin g wifi adapter works greatly. It used to find 90% signal. But strangely Ubuntu not works well with belkin N adapter. With N adapter it finds only 40% signal.

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Try running Ubuntu in VMware, VirtualBox, or Virtual PC.

EDIT:

I also have 2GB of RAM and Ubuntu is using 70%

EDIT2:
71.1% and going up!

Just a point Linux based OS also prepare Hard Disk Cache which fills up the hard disk. Effectively though the Hard Disk Cache is free space.