PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't even install Ubuntu.

Totakeke
August 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I've been trying in vain for the past few days to install Ubuntu, but nothing works. Here's what happens.

The installation process goes very smoothly. I think my problem, however, lies within the partitioning process. I've tried a lot of combinations, like manually partitioning, using the guided one (where it uses the entire disk), etc. I have two 250 GiB hard drives, and before I go through the trouble of RAID 1-ing them, I wanted to try Linux for a little while just on one hard drive.

Anyway, after the installation "completes" and the computer restarts, I'm greeted by several messages, a bunch of them appearing every 10 seconds or so, saying something along the lines of my nVidia boot manager failed or something. Eventually, it asks me to insert the system disk. I do, launch the Live CD, then reinstall, trying a different manual partitioning or selecting a different drive onto which to install the boot launcher.

Can anyone please help me? I'm on a very old computer, and I have things I need to, well, compute. (On the other computer. Before I installed Vista it was just an empty shell. -.-) I've resorted to installing Windows Vista at the moment because I just can't get Linux to work, even though I really want to. So can anyone help?

Thanks.

louieb
August 11th, 2008, 02:52 PM
From what you described.

Eventually, it asks me to insert the system disk.

Thats not a message that would come out of the Linux startup. Don't think it even getting that far.

1st thing you should do so verify that you have a good installation CD.
When you boot the CD there is a check media for defects option. Select it.
If it reports errors you wil need to burn another CD. (Burn it slow I burn my Linux install CDs at 2X).

2nd thing Please be descriptive of your hardware. How much memory? Are the hard drives IDE or SATA or maybe one of each.

ROJIRU
August 20th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hi, there! I'm something of a newbie, so I may not be able to help, but I've had an awful time trying to load both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. I came to the conclusion that it was something to do with microsoft's windows XP and probably vista. I reckon they put a bug in the system so that you can only use their upgraded products.

What I found was that if I used Windows 98 set up disk, to load as far as the fomating, that I was able then to load Ubuntu.

So I suppose I'm saying "make sure that the hard drives are well and truly formated. Hope this helps.