PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] wlan dies arfter a couple hours

trigsenior
August 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
hello ,

I am having problems with wlan , i can connect fine but after about an hour or two it dies however still connected to modem and i can only reconnect if i un-plug cable and plug back in.

I tried asked for help on irc and people suggested disabling acpi on boot.
Is this a good idea , as it sound a bit radical =)

many thanks as usual and hope you can help

ps : wireless works fine

FIX =

The problem had nothing to do with ubuntu as same thing happened in m$.
I did a bit , well quite a bit of searching Turns out its a problem with the orange box i had to go to 198.168.1.1 and disable UPnP.

now works great , touch wood

Mytth
August 10th, 2008, 10:22 PM
If its a wireless problem why do you have it connected to a modem?Does the wifi die in a couple of hours or the connection from the router?

trigsenior
August 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM
sorry was not clear enough.

I can connect to wireless Without any problems.

However i want to connect to the modem though a cable as it is faster but every few hours the internet stops working. And to make the internet work again i have to un plug the cable from the modem and replug it in. The internet is still working on the modem i believe it is a problem with Ubuntu.

i hope this made a bit more sense :)

Crafty Kisses
August 10th, 2008, 10:47 PM
When the internet drops, try pinging a website:

ping www.whatever.com
See if you get a reply.

lisati
August 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
There might be a conflict with another wireless network in your area. Does changing the channel your wlan uses help? (how to do this will depend on your hardware)

Victormd
August 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM
sorry was not clear enough.

I can connect to wireless Without any problems.

However i want to connect to the modem though a cable as it is faster but every few hours the internet stops working. And to make the internet work again i have to un plug the cable from the modem and replug it in. The internet is still working on the modem i believe it is a problem with Ubuntu.

i hope this made a bit more sense :)

What router do you use? I have a similar problem with a cheap belkin router that I have. My laptop (wireless) goes out but my desktop (wired) stays connected. I have to reset the router every time this happens. In my case, it's not ubuntu because the same thing happens when I'm using windows...

trigsenior
August 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
thanks for all you reply s,

When the internet drops, try pinging a website:

i tried that i get host not found

here might be a conflict with another wireless network in your area. Does changing the channel your wlan uses help? (how to do this will depend on your hardware)

There is only one wireless connection where i am ( i live in the middle of no where). The wireless is fine , however wired drops every couple hours.

What router do you use? I have a similar problem with a cheap belkin router that I have. My laptop (wireless) goes out but my desktop (wired) stays connected. I have to reset the router every time this happens. In my case, it's not ubuntu because the same thing happens when I'm using windows...

Im using an orange live box http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Livebox. (the old ugly one ;) )
I will have to boot up in to windows and brave the pop ups and see if this happens in m$.

Victormd
August 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
There is only one wireless connection where i am ( i live in the middle of no where). The wireless is fine , however wired drops every couple hours.

Well, your network behavior is different from mine, my wireless is what craps out... but it's worth a shot checking it out under windows as well...

trigsenior
August 12th, 2008, 12:13 AM
sorry for delayed post but just wanted to make sure it was fixed.

The problem had nothing to do with ubuntu as same thing happened in m$.
I did a bit , well quite a bit of searching ;) Turns out its a problem with the orange box i had to go to 198.168.1.1 and disable UPnP.

now works great , touch wood

thanxs as usual. :)