PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need Help Getting Live Cd Going!!!!!!!!

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM
hi i am having a hard time trying to get the live cd to boot rather than the hdd.
i have an hp pavilion 400 with win xp pro on it.
when i insert the cd in to my dads comp it comes up with the ubuntu menu with three options. but when i insert the disc in to mine it does nothing.

so i went to my computer and noticed that the ubuntu icon had vanished from the cd drive and a different one was there(not cd drive icon). i double clicked on that and a box popped up "umenu failed to initalize(0xc00000006) click ok to terminate process":confused:

i have tried to change the bios to boot from cd but it just wont for love nor life. so it had an option "help me boot live cd or something" which installed something on my dads comp and made it work.(same problem with bios):confused:

if anyone can help please do!

thanks

Midahed
August 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
From the sounds of things the CD is OK as it boots in another machine.

Does your machine boot off the CD OK if some other bootable CD is placed in the CD drive - like a Windows installation CD, for instance?

Kevbert
August 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
How much RAM memory does your HP pc have ? If it's less that 384Mb you'll have trouble running the Live CD.

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 09:00 PM
i have just reinstalled win xp pro on it as it was going really slow. it sped up a lot after reinstall so yeah the cd drive seems ok. oh i did get a blue screen of death when installing but un pluged something and it made it work. it said something s3gnmb.sys on blue screen.

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
oh i only have 176 mb of ram!!!!!
but with that little of ram it should still come up with the menu to install ubuntu and read about it, should it not?

Vivaldi Gloria
August 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 09:26 PM
i dont get it??
should i put a 256 in to the hp with a 128 to make it work?

Vivaldi Gloria
August 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
i dont get it??

With your computer you need a lighter distro than ubuntu. Something like DSL, Puppy etc. So have a look at that thread.

Vivaldi Gloria
August 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM
should i put a 256 in to the hp with a 128 to make it work?

Oh no. Those numbers in that thread are not related to ram. They say how big the download cd is. They are all lighter distros.

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
but back to what i said at the start the cd works on my dads comp running xp pro. but on mine the cd drive wont read the live cd but it installed xp happily with a little glith though but xp is working. i just want linux instead of windows.

Vivaldi Gloria
August 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM
but back to what i said at the start the cd works on my dads comp running xp pro. but on mine the cd drive wont read the live cd but it installed xp happily with a little glith though but xp is working. i just want linux instead of windows.

XP requires only 64 MB to install. Not ubuntu. If you want linux then you need to try a lighter linux distro than ubuntu.

OutOfReach
August 10th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Ubuntu would be too heavy for that much RAM, maybe something lighter, like Fluxbuntu, Xubuntu, DSL, etc...

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 09:42 PM
so you are saying that the live cd i have wont even open the welcome menu let alone install because i have so little ram ?

and what is the difference between ubuntu, fluxbuntu and xbuntu apart from size?

OutOfReach
August 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
It probably might not be able to install, but if it does it will be terribly sluggish.

Fluxbuntu, and Xubuntu use different, and lighter Desktop Enviroments, (Fluxbuntu uses Fluxbox and Xubuntu uses Xfce), making them faster, and better for older systems.

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
but otherwise they are the same.

could i not just upgrade the ram to 1gb or something?

OutOfReach
August 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Not quite the same, they are very different.
And yes you can upgrade your RAM to 1GB, if you like.

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 09:50 PM
so when i double click on the live cd on my comp and it says it has failed to initalize. it has failed due to the lack of ram.

so it would not run in live cd at all then?

OutOfReach
August 10th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Probably not since the recommended Ubuntu system requirement for RAM is 384MB

matthewbrave
August 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
ok i am going to upgrade the ram and see if that works and i will get back tomorrom with the results.