PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Computer

yosarian
August 10th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I would like to buy a new computer and I would like to know if any hardware has trouble with Ubuntu

I am thinking of buying a Intel dual Core 2 E7200 with a Intel motherboard and a Seagate hard drive an a LG CD/DVD burner.

Is any cheaper motherboard that works fine with Ubuntu?

I have a cheaper and older machine now and I am having lot of troubles of incompatibility, the CD burner doesn't work (I found in the forum that that brand has trouble with Ubuntu) and the mother seems to have troubles as well (probably because is too old)

Thanks for your help

Crafty Kisses
August 10th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Intel is a good choice with Linux, at the moment I think Intel is better than AMD, and not sure what you're asking about the motherboards, but so far it looks like you have some solid choices.

yosarian
August 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks Codename,

I am asking about motherboards because I want to know which ones are good to run Ubuntu. I am going to use the motherboard as a graphic and sound card, then if the motherboard doesn't work properly I have a big trouble.
Do you know which brands of motherboards works well with Ubuntu?

Crafty Kisses
August 11th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Thanks Codename,

I am asking about motherboards because I want to know which ones are good to run Ubuntu. I am going to use the motherboard as a graphic and sound card, then if the motherboard doesn't work properly I have a big trouble.
Do you know which brands of motherboards works well with Ubuntu?

I'd have to say Intel.

tuxxy
August 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM
AMD run excellent, also if your going for dual processor, AMD run far better in benchmark tests across the board than intel dual chips, although slightly behind now in the quads, I expect this will change soon.

my only other recommendation would be an nvidia graphic card.

yosarian
August 14th, 2008, 05:23 AM
The mother board that is coming with the computer is
Asus P5K-VM SKT.775 Intel 965G M.ATX 2PCI/1PCI-E 16X, 4 DDR2, AUDIO 1066/800FSB,SATA,RAID0, GB

IS that Motherboard going to work
Could you recommend a sound and video card?