PDA

View Full Version : Does this look like Linux?

L815
August 10th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I am watching BBC Visions of the Future - The Biotech Revolution. They were talking about genome projects and the studies of complex diseases, when I saw that they were using something that looked like Linux.

What do you think? If it is, I think it's great proof of how reliable and functional Linux really is :)

rudihawk
August 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think it might just be!

smartboyathome
August 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Looks like an old version of GNOME/KDE, or maybe even Equinox! :)

FuturePilot
August 10th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Yes, looks like an old version of Gnome. Not exactly something I'd have in mind for the future. :lolflag:

ghindo
August 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
It sure ain't Windows or OSX.

Erunno
August 10th, 2008, 08:54 PM
It looks like the operating system I encountered on some old Sun computers (SunOS? I can't remember the name right now) which ran some kind of modified ancient release of GNOME.

Zeotronic
August 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM
In my experience, Linux can look like anything... even Windows or Mac... but I have to admit, I'm not familiar with anything else that can look like that besides Linux.

p_quarles
August 10th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Well, whatever it is, it looks like a window manager, not an operating system. :D

Remember: the top-level interface says about as much about the operating system as the hood ornament says about your engine.

issih
August 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Yup thats solaris running on a sun workstation.....obviously its unix based, but its real unix not linux (not denigrating linux at all, there is a technical and legal difference however). To be honest, compared to modern linux, its a pig to use :)

L815
August 10th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Well, whatever it is, it looks like a window manager, not an operating system. :D

Remember: the top-level interface says about as much about the operating as the hood ornament says about your engine.

I see your point, but would scientific study groups spend the time to install and configure an alternate windows manager on lets say Windows?

Let me change the direction of my counter argument. The atmosphere of the documentary was based on scientific research, part of which was based on research done at MIT. Since X was conceived at MIT (correct me if I am wrong)... you see where I am going :p

zmjjmz
August 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
It's definitely UNIX or UNIX-like, and that WM is an old version of KDE.

Sporkman
August 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM
That is Solaris.

http://www.osnews.com/img/10673/Solaris8-cde.png

markbuntu
August 10th, 2008, 11:03 PM
Unix has always been the choice for "real computing", always. It is stable and secure and highly configurable. No serious industrial process could possibly work in a windows environment.

atoponce
August 10th, 2008, 11:09 PM
It's not an old version of KDE. It's CDE, the Common Desktop Environment, usually installed on IBM AIX, HP/UX or Sun Solaris. Based on the color scheme, I'd say it's likely running on Solaris.

cardinals_fan
August 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM
It's not an old version of KDE. It's CDE, the Common Desktop Environment, usually installed on IBM AIX, HP/UX or Sun Solaris. Based on the color scheme, I'd say it's likely running on Solaris.
I confirm your identification :)

edm1
August 10th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I am watching BBC Visions of the Future - The Biotech Revolution. They were talking about genome projects and the studies of complex diseases,

Was wondering if you knew a link i could see that video on, I cant find it on BBC iPlayer. It looks interesting.

grossaffe
August 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM
how fitting, research the human genome whith gnome.

jeyaganesh
August 11th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Lot of advanced scientific softwares run on Linux only. It includes area of protein modelling, bio-informatics, gene sequencing etc.

The '454' company which sequenced whole genome of Prof. James Watson use Linux based softwares for their system. The same 454 system was used to sequence genome of Neandertal.

Here is the paragraph taken from 454's system description;

The signals created in the sequencing process are then analyzed by software contained in the 454 Sequencing System’s computer. This Linux-based proprietary software was designed for our 454 Sequencing System and enables processing of the emitted chemi-luminescent signals generated in the sequencing stage of the process. This analytical software creates millions of sequenced bases per hour from a single run of the sequencing process.

Friqenstein
August 11th, 2008, 01:17 AM
It looks like CDE to me.
Back when SUN's motto was:
"we put the DOT in .com" ... was a great motto. :)

*edit*
...then again, those of us who know what CDE is are probably showing our age... :(

cardinals_fan
August 11th, 2008, 01:59 AM
*edit*
...then again, those of us who know what CDE is are probably showing our age... :(
I know what CDE is, and I'm only 15 :)

L815
August 11th, 2008, 04:10 AM
Was wondering if you knew a link i could see that video on, I cant find it on BBC iPlayer. It looks interesting.

I got all 3 videos from Mininova (torrents).

mips
August 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM

+1 You are 100% on it being CDE and probably 99.999% correct on it running on Solaris.

I have used CDE on HP/UX & Solaris before.

kpkeerthi
August 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
That is Solaris (SunOS 5.x)

mips
August 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM

+1 You are 100% on it being CDE and probably 99.999% correct on it running on Solaris.

I have used CDE on HP/UX & Solaris before.

Sporkman
August 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
I know what CDE is, and I'm only 15 :)

I first started using Solaris (with CDE) around the time you were born, while a physics undergrad.

It looked the same then as it does now, pretty much.

Sporkman
August 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Hey, I called Solaris first! I even provided a screenshot to prove it!

Where are my props??! :D

init1
August 11th, 2008, 05:37 PM
It sure ain't Windows or OSX.
Could be a replacement shell for Windows

swoll1980
August 11th, 2008, 05:49 PM
The smileycons are not working

issih
August 11th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Hey, I called Solaris first! I even provided a screenshot to prove it!

Where are my props??! :D
No you didn't, I did :p I'm on the first page and everything :)

You did trump me with the screenshot effort though I admit...

Sporkman
August 11th, 2008, 06:17 PM
No you didn't, I did :p I'm on the first page and everything :)

Eww, you are correct.

Props to issih, well done! :D

How do you pronounce "issih", anyways? :?

issih
August 11th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Pronounce it however you want :)..I sort of imagine it as sounding like hissy but without the h. Its not a name I use much anymore actually, here and last fm are about the last remnants of it. I have an attachment to it, but for various reasons I abandoned it in most places around the turn of the year.

Thanks for the props....I'll use them to hold up the sideboard :)

Fri13
August 28th, 2008, 06:15 PM
It looks like the operating system I encountered on some old Sun computers (SunOS? I can't remember the name right now) which ran some kind of modified ancient release of GNOME.

I think you dont mean operating system but the desktop environment for Unix operating systems called CDE....

rax_m
August 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Looks like the old CDE desktop (which looks similar to XFCE to me)!

*EDIT* Oops.. a bit late ;)