PDA

View Full Version : Broken Package

Comhra
August 10th, 2008, 07:06 PM
A word of warning, if you're still using Gutsy and you wish to install the Irish Dictionary in Language Support, don't. It broke my OS. Gutsy had been trouble free since Mid-November.

The installation hung for hours and running sudo dpkg --configure -a did not fix it; terminal hung at the same point (connected to the package that provides Irish Dictionary support for mail clients) It may be the case that I use Thunderbird rather than the native Evolution that caused it; I don't know.

In any case, it was goodbye to this great OS that has been so steady on my laptop.

I installed Gutsy and ran into a nasty Start-up bug (Bug # 191137). At one stage it seemed that I was going to have to re-compile the Kernel, a daunting task for a still noobish user.

I located the Kernel which I needed and armed myself with the appropriate commands just in case.

Luckily, further reading revealed that there was a fix in Hardy Proposed, it's a new version of the Kernel and it works well.

I held my breath while the Gaelic Dictionary was being installed but this time all went well.

Hardy is working really well and I'm delighted with the new functionality in Nautilus and the GUI.

Kerry are on their way to a three in a row, I have a brand new shiny OS and all is well.

Comhra
August 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Everything is working including my 8 Gb SD card, Graphics Card, Sound Card, Wireless, USB Drive and Flash. The only problems were the Start-Up Bug (really annoying and requiring a hard shut-down) and a Disk Spin-Down issue (Aggressive Power Management) which was easily fixed and only affects certain Laptops.

The Start-Up Bug took 5 hours of reading to resolve; once I found the answer, applying the fix was a very simple task.

I was really reluctant to abandon Gutsy because it worked so well but Hardy seems just as stable, RAM usage is more efficient though CPU usage seems just a tad higher.

Comhra
August 10th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I forgot to mention that after the failed Gaelic Dictionary problem in Gutsy, the worst thing was that Synaptic would no longer work.

Comhra
August 10th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I realise now that the following commands would propably have removed the broken packages for me:
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean

Comhra
August 14th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Yeah, that worked out well, I'm finding Hardy to be a very stable environment with which to work. still a lot of FUD floating around in the main forum. I guess it depends largely on your hardware but I haven't had a problem.

Cochise
August 14th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I've ran hardy on my main machine (amd), my server (intel hardware) and on my eeepc and its as stable as a rock on both.