PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome session does not load: Only in Failsafe Mode.

Kris_monkey
August 10th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. I have been trying to load up Ubuntu for the first time on a full installation onto a new hard drive.

The entire installation appears to run smoothly and when I load up my machine for the first time without the installation CD in the drive it appears to load up normally to the user name screen. I then enter my user name and password, the screen then changes to the loaded up desktop screen colour. At that point a message appears saying "Monitor going to Sleep" my monitor then temporarily shuts down and then immediately restarts; at this point Ubuntu then reverts back to the user name login screen.

I have tried to load using all of the various sessions under the options screen and the only version that works is the 'Failsafe Gnome' session. The first time I used this the session loaded up completely; I gained access to the internet through Firefox; and I could play music from CD. However, this screen froze during the session and the next time I loaded under this session I could not gain access to the interent or play music files.

This is happening time and time again. I initially loaded the operating system using an older version of Ubuntu; then the most up to date version 8.04; and then the alternate text based installer version 8.04. Each time the same happens.

I know the computer loads up so the PC and hard drive works, the software worked under the failsafe session and I have tried various versions of Ubuntu so I dont think the problem is that. I think it might be something to do with my configuration or settings but I dont know what.
Can anyone help please I really don't know what to try next???

Many thanks

overdrank
August 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to Ubuntu. I have been trying to load up Ubuntu for the first time on a full installation onto a new hard drive.

The entire installation appears to run smoothly and when I load up my machine for the first time without the installation CD in the drive it appears to load up normally to the user name screen. I then enter my user name and password, the screen then changes to the loaded up desktop screen colour. At that point a message appears saying "Monitor going to Sleep" my monitor then temporarily shuts down and then immediately restarts; at this point Ubuntu then reverts back to the user name login screen.

I have tried to load using all of the various sessions under the options screen and the only version that works is the 'Failsafe Gnome' session. The first time I used this the session loaded up completely; I gained access to the internet through Firefox; and I could play music from CD. However, this screen froze during the session and the next time I loaded under this session I could not gain access to the interent or play music files.

This is happening time and time again. I initially loaded the operating system using an older version of Ubuntu; then the most up to date version 8.04; and then the alternate text based installer version 8.04. Each time the same happens.

I know the computer loads up so the PC and hard drive works, the software worked under the failsafe session and I have tried various versions of Ubuntu so I dont think the problem is that. I think it might be something to do with my configuration or settings but I dont know what.
Can anyone help please I really don't know what to try next???

Many thanks

Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs? Also did you check the cd for errors be fore installation?

Kris_monkey
August 11th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs? Also did you check the cd for errors be fore installation?
Yeah sure! Its an older system approx 3 years old. Originally it was an Emachines 6260 but it went wrong over 6 months ago and i built a custom PC instead.

I decided I wanted to bring my old Emachines back to life so its basically that system with a few modifications and replacements.
3500 AMD Athlon 2.2 processor
512k L2 Cache
2000 Mhz FSB motherboard (it states on the case - sounds too high to me unsure of the exact motherboard)
2 x 512k (1GB) Ram (Not original)
250 GB Weston Digital Hard Drive (Not original)

I ran all the memory and CD checks that the Ubuntu installer provide and everything checks out fine.

thanks for your help.