PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suspend/hibernate behaving strangely in 8.04

jhsachs
August 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I'm using v8.04 on a Pentium based system. The system board is an Asus P4P800S. The display card is an ATI Radeon.

When I try to suspend the system it seems to go part of the way off, then back on. The screen goes blank and loses signal, and my scanner resets itself, as it normally does when the computer is turned off. After about 15 seconds the display returns, showing a box in the middle of a dark screen. The box prompts me for my password, with buttons for "Leave Message," "Switch User," "Cancel," and "Unlock." After another minute or so the screen goes blank again, but the screen remains powered on; I can restore the display by twitching the mouse.

The keyboard is unresponsive, sometimes with all of the status lights on, sometimes with all of them off. "Switch User" prompts me to enter a user name, but without the keyboard I can't. If I try to shut the system down, it hangs. Hard-booting the system restarts Ubuntu but does not wake up the keyboard; I must power off to do that.

pm-is-supported says that hibernate and suspend are both supported.

I don't know how to diagnose this problem, but I wonder whether it is connected with my Radeon card. I know that the Radeon architecture is more or less secret, and the driver is proprietary.