PDA

View Full Version : I love this Canonical OS but I wish to change the name!

icett
August 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I love this Canonical OS called "Ubuntu" and its color scheme but for myself I wish to change the name "Ubuntu" to "Canonical" or "Mark". I dont wish to see "Ubuntu" written anywhere in my installed OS. Tell me is there a way to do that? And if there is how to do that? Thanks:)

kk0sse54
August 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
What's wrong with the word Ubuntu? I think it has great meaning and that it sounds a lot better than Canonical OS or Mark OS.

koenn
August 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
it's actually not so difficult :

- download all source code
- replace the word "ubuntu" in all source files by the name of your choice
- find all images that contain the word ubuntu and replace them
- recompile all source files and install the results

you may also have to remaster an install CD with your recompiled software, in case you need to re-install the os.

quinnten83
August 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM
probably doesn't sound western enough....

yeah that's right I went there..
But let's be honest, Is windows a better name for an OS, NO, but it sounds western enough, so it's name is accepted without question!
Anything that might sounds remotely too exotic a language is wrong....

okay, rant over, I will go kick the cat now!

Naiki Muliaina
August 10th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Well, in firefox, just change the homepage (edit > preferences).

The log in screen via System > Administration > Log in window. Theres some good log in screens at gnome-look.org.

Grub via /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the name of the entrys. Where it says title change the following text to what you want it to be. Mine reads :

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic

You have to be as root to change grub and the log in window.

Naiki Muliaina
August 10th, 2008, 04:41 PM
quinnten83 i like the name ubuntu, but i prefer the name Xubuntu ^^ Sounds more exotic to me and i guess im a westerner hehe ^^

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Seems too generic really and boring, Ubuntu is an African word meaning "humanity towards others" and I think it sounds better then "windows" or "Mac OSX".
Heck the Ubuntu naming scheme is great in my opinion, Dapper Drake, Edgy Eft, Feisty Fawn, Gutsy Gibbon and Hardy Heron sound fun and friendly as opposed to "Windows version 3.0.5" or "Windows 95, 98, 2000"

quinnten83
August 10th, 2008, 04:53 PM
well, how can the name Xubuntu not be cool.
Sounds like humanity to others, mutant superhero style :D.
Yes, I agree, I do read to many x-men comic books.

Sorry about the rant, but we've had the name discussion before (and they always annoy me because the people that start these threads don't even take a moment to consider the meaning of the name of the OS).

the yawner
August 10th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Now that I've thought about it, I only see 'Ubuntu' during boot splash and the GDM screen. Then there's the About Ubuntu under system menu. The first two can be replaced by stuff you'd find in gnome-look.

fiddler616
August 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I don't see how all the trouble is worth replacing a few instances of the word, but I guess we're all entitled to our opinions...

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Right, in fact when you look at it Ubuntu has one of the best names for a OS out there.
Windows was derived from win-dos
Mac OSX is just Mac OS 10...
Ubuntu sounds way cooler on its own, with Windows it needs catchy names like "XP, Vista" in todays audience and Apple have all those wildcat names to make up for the rather flat sounding "OS 10" or even "OS-X"

Naiki Muliaina
August 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
To Yawner : Could prolly remove it from system menu with alacarte (for those that havent used it, type alacarte in terminal) and edit the menu ^^

Until now Quint i had never thought of xubuntu as a mutant... Think its a xfce mouse that glows in the dark or something? :-P

huxterby
August 10th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Right, in fact when you look at it Ubuntu has one of the best names for a OS out there.

I beg to differ. Debian has a nice story behind the name. Ian Murdock and his wife Deborah created the name Deb Ian. Which is nice.

Back on topic, I like the name Ubuntu, it has meaning and offers an insight into the way the Linux community should be, if not society in general.

I have seen a lot of distros come and go, and am personally surprised at the lack of imagination which produces anything with the letter X in it or ends with OS.

A quick look on http://distrowatch.com will provide you with quite a variety of distro names, some quite funny, others somewhat unimaginative.

Huxterby

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I beg to differ. Debian has a nice story behind the name. Ian Murdock and his wife Deborah created the name Deb Ian. Which is nice.

Back on topic, I like the name Ubuntu, it has meaning and offers an insight into the way the Linux community should be, if not society in general.

I have seen a lot of distros come and go, and am personally surprised at the lack of imagination which produces anything with the letter X in it or ends with OS.

A quick look on http://distrowatch.com will provide you with quite a variety of distro names, some quite funny, others somewhat unimaginative.

Huxterby
well "I said one of the best" and not "the best"
Its all on phrasing

mips
August 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I have no issues with the name at all but at the same time I cannot stand the colour scheme.

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I have no issues with the name at all but at the same time I cannot stand the colour scheme.

I rather like the orange, its the browns that throw me off.