PDA

View Full Version : Digg this ! Why Microsoft and Intel tried to kill the XO $100 laptop

beyboo
August 10th, 2008, 08:20 AM
All of us need to digg this and ensure its visible for all fellow digg users about how Win-tel believes in brutal tactics to ensure monopolistic dominance.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article4472654.ece

p_quarles
August 10th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Isn't putting something on Digg a pretty brutal tactic itself? :D

beyboo
August 10th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

Isn't putting something on Digg a pretty brutal tactic itself? :D

Awareness is a term I would prefer to use. I think public opinion must sway in favor of using products and services which benefit mankind with the human touch. Opensource is one of them. I am sure any one reading this on digg will take a moment to think if this appeals to his/her conscience.

I use linux / Ubuntu and opensource not because it is a free as in beer, but because it inspires me to use the concept of opensource which does not beg to thrive on creating a monopolistic domination of money :)

Not that we already know Win-Tels attitude to opensource, however this is a shocking awakening of times to come. It also concerns me that post his retirement Gates has decided to setup a multi-billion dollar charitable fund to help the poor and the children. With this article I wonder how ?

bigbrovar
August 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I live in Nigeria one of the countries that benefited from the olpc am on ground to see its implementation . it is not a good thing that windows xp is been offered as an alternative OS. its sad that MS is using dirty politics to force the OS on the poor chlidren . a million olpc with mandriva linux pre installed were ordered by the Nigerian Govt. MS met with and Lobbied the govt to install XP on them .then the govt comes out and says that while it would respect its contract with Mandriva. it would be installing xp on the olpc when they are delivered here in nigeria .. its sad because every Nigeria know what Goes into "lobbying" the government. now think of what it would cost in term of human and material to install xp on a million machine .. shouldn't the effort be channeled into other positive venture .

Lets not bring in OS fanboyism into this .. but i have to say that MS cares more about children (the world next consumers) being thought on windows than the welfare of the children themselves.
the choice of Linux is not bad. because the olpc wont be running gentoo or some other distro meant for advance users .. noo it would be running a special type of OS specially designed for the olpc .. which a sugar interface that was designed to be simple easy to use and learn with . and the biggest thing about using linux is that it allows for customization to fit local needs without worry about violating user licenses .. hence scientist in the country of destination can add features to the OS that would make it fit in more to the needs of their society . we also should not forget the stability and security that comes with Linux . cus every one would agree with me that a child needs a stable and secured environment to learn . will they get that in XP .. correct me if am wrong but isn't the olpc suppose to be an internet device .. something the student can connect to the net to get edu materials .. be linked to a network of other users ..hence facilitating the sharing of resources .. how is that suppose to happen with xp .. for christ sake xp is the most insecure OS in the world.. even when offline .. but for an internet device .. its suicidal.If MS really cares about this children then it should work with the OlPC team to build a custom OS specialy made for the device .. not a trimmed down verison of an OS that it has condemned to history and Which it would soon stop offering support for ...

Naiki Muliaina
August 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Yes intel hates linux.... :-/

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9302797289.html

http://apcmag.com/intel_to_promote_linux_certification.htm

Honestly, what has happened to the times online? Or the times in general tbh... Scince Murdock took it over the quality of thier articles has dropped through the floor. That article looks like its been written by the worst of the worst of anti microsoft/intel writers. Times used to be a proper unbiased newspaper with proper reporters. Everything right down to the language used in that article is like a angry child.

Im very aware of intels and microsofts past. But that article looks like something from the boycot novel website.

beyboo
August 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I live in Nigeria one of the countries that benefited from the olpc am on ground to see its implementation . it is not a good thing that windows xp is been offered as an alternative OS. its sad that MS is using dirty politics to force the OS on the poor chlidren . a million olpc with mandriva linux pre installed were ordered by the Nigerian Govt. MS met with and Lobbied the govt to install XP on them .then the govt comes out and says that while it would respect its contract with Mandriva. it would be installing xp on the olpc when they are delivered here in nigeria .. its sad because every Nigeria know what Goes into "lobbying" the government. now think of what it would cost in term of human and material to install xp on a million machine .. shouldn't the effort be channeled into other positive venture .

Lets not bring in OS fanboyism into this .. but i have to say that MS cares more about children (the world next consumers) being thought on windows than the welfare of the children themselves.
the choice of Linux is not bad. because the olpc wont be running gentoo or some other distro meant for advance users .. noo it would be running a special type of OS specially designed for the olpc .. which a sugar interface that was designed to be simple easy to use and learn with . and the biggest thing about using linux is that it allows for customization to fit local needs without worry about violating user licenses .. hence scientist in the country of destination can add features to the OS that would make it fit in more to the needs of their society . we also should not forget the stability and security that comes with Linux . cus every one would agree with me that a child needs a stable and secured environment to learn . will they get that in XP .. correct me if am wrong but isn't the olpc suppose to be an internet device .. something the student can connect to the net to get edu materials .. be linked to a network of other users ..hence facilitating the sharing of resources .. how is that suppose to happen with xp .. for christ sake xp is the most insecure OS in the world.. even when offline .. but for an internet device .. its suicidal.If MS really cares about this children then it should work with the OlPC team to build a custom OS specialy made for the device .. not a trimmed down verison of an OS that it has condemned to history and Which it would soon stop offering support for ...

Agreed ! What bugs me is that MS is trying to setup this culture of "Catch em young" - so they can be assured future business out of generations used to the MS Windows way of thinking.

I resonate ur views on this. I am not pushing for Linux either. What matters to me is let humanity prevail. A GNU / Opensource developer codes with the intent of making a difference by giving it away for free to use. I believe that positive karma from such an act flows a long way to benefit humanity :)

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Can't agree more to this.

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Agreed ! What bugs me is that MS is trying to setup this culture of "Catch em young" - so they can be assured future business out of generations used to the MS Windows way of thinking.

Smells so similar to drug-dealing.

quanumphaze
August 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM
how is that suppose to happen with xp .. for christ sake xp is the most insecure OS in the world.. even when offline.

Stop spreading the lies. Win9x was many times worse than NT based Windows :p

But yeah, I agree. Another argument is the performance of XP is less then spectacular (for really large values of 'less'). Runs like Vista on 512 megs of RAM.

techmarks
August 10th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Of the two I dislike Intel the most, so my next computer will have an AMD processor.

Microsoft of course is in bed with Intel, but it seems to be losing ground lately, confused by Open Source, its' broken Windows technology should just be completely re-written but it can't do that.
Microsoft hasn't been succesful in dominating on the Internet and seems very frustrated by that.

I almost don't care much about MS now, it seems to become a bit less relevant every year.

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yes intel hates linux.... :-/

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS9302797289.html

http://apcmag.com/intel_to_promote_linux_certification.htm

Honestly, what has happened to the times online? Or the times in general tbh... Scince Murdock took it over the quality of thier articles has dropped through the floor. That article looks like its been written by the worst of the worst of anti microsoft/intel writers. Times used to be a proper unbiased newspaper with proper reporters. Everything right down to the language used in that article is like a angry child.

Im very aware of intels and microsofts past. But that article looks like something from the boycot novel website.

Indeed the intel bits make me wonder, as lately Intel has been looking at linux as a viable choice to work with now that vista is running in circles.
And yes I too know of intels past, but they improved lately for open source support.

Naiki Muliaina
August 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Must remember, sarcasm never goes well on the net ^^ . Anywhos, ive been using intel boards and processors with Linux without a problem for ages. Im a bit biased to liking Intel because i realy have not had a single problem across 3 desktops and 2 laptops in the 3 years ive been migrating to Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Must remember, sarcasm never goes well on the net ^^ . Anywhos, ive been using intel boards and processors with Linux without a problem for ages. Im a bit biased to liking Intel because i realy have not had a single problem across 3 desktops and 2 laptops in the 3 years ive been migrating to Linux.

Same here, I stick with intel as it is what I know at least when hardware is concerned.
I am afraid I am not as adventurous with hardware as I am with software, with software I al always trying new crap out but on the inside I want to keep to what I know.

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Well I have an AMD based hardware. And it works very well.
Intel alone are not good towards Linux, AMD are too.

Also don't forget ATI truly started supporting Linux only after AMD's takeover.

The thread has nothing to do with Intel's support of Linux but rather Intel's anti-trust practices which as unfortunate.

The fact that Intel supports Linux does not make them a good company. (It only makes it good company for Linux)

beyboo
August 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
I think we can like Intel as well as Windows for what they are. Gates despises opensource. The Opensource movement is different cause it proves the point by setting the standard higher. The reason for starting the article was to comment on the bad business practise in dealing with such a sensitive issue as supporting social causes. Social causes need help but not with strings attached.

Looking at way the things are, I am sure days of the desktop/laptops are numbered in favor of multiple gadgets / devices based on ultra light processors and OS which can access the net using perhaps 3G technology and get the work done !!

We already have the likes of busybox ruling in devices where a stable os is required and I guess linux kernel is very mature to prove it once again in the new age internet devices.

Edit :
BTW I too use a core 2 duo processor on my laptop. However I really want to get in to an age where I do not have to worry about the hardware as long as I know that my gnome/firefox/compiz/wireless work - whatever the platform. Just like we do not bother about the processor on board the mobile phones we use !

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well I have an AMD based hardware. And it works very well.
Intel alone are not good towards Linux, AMD are too.

Also don't forget ATI truly started supporting Linux only after AMD's takeover.

The thread has nothing to do with Intel's support of Linux but rather Intel's anti-trust practices which as unfortunate.

The fact that Intel supports Linux does not make them a good company. (It only makes it good company for Linux)

Yes but even small steps are good, small steps are better then no steps at all.
Already Intel is getting better at supporting linux then before so good times lay ahead at least when concerning the linux intel relationship.

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Yes but even small steps are good, small steps are better then no steps at all.
Already Intel is getting better at supporting linux then before so good times lay ahead at least when concerning the linux intel relationship.

Small Steps to Success :-P

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Small Steps to Success :-P

Indeed, in a way we can thank apple for what is happening, before the apple intel deal intel was very hostile to unix in general in all its forms but now thanks to the intel apple deal they are looking at the alternatives.

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Indeed, in a way we can thank apple for what is happening, before the apple intel deal intel was very hostile to unix in general in all its forms but now thanks to the intel apple deal they are looking at the alternatives.

I didn't know Intel was ever hostile to Linux.
Could you throw some light into the matter. (I like to read history :) )

original_jamingrit
August 10th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Realistically, it shouldn't matter what OS is on those computers, it's for the kids. But what disappointments me is that the Windows OLPC has to be a bit more expensive, for the sake of software and compatible hardware. Not a lot more expensive, but still enough.

An older article brings up a good point: http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/05/15/poor-children-of-the-world-no-longer-will-have-to-struggle-with-linux/

...On the upside, though, the pain of having to deal with Windows crashes may make some of these kids excellent technical support people over time. They’d just get lazy with Linux being so stable all the time.

If it isn’t obvious from what I’ve written above, I’m not impressed. OLPC is in danger of becoming a celebrity cause rather than a real attempt to bridge the digital divide....

There's been talk (I can't confirm it) of $12 Mac laptops being churned out in the near future**picks up jaw**. For that to be realistic, they would have to be sold at a loss. I'm sure the OLPC has done some good work, but they definitely seem to want to avoid selling at a loss. It's no longer a cause, it's just another business move to try fill another niche.

p_quarles
August 10th, 2008, 08:52 PM
There's been talk (I can't confirm it) of $12 Mac laptops being churned out in the near future**picks up jaw**. For that to be realistic, they would have to be sold at a loss. I'm sure the OLPC has done some good work, but they definitely seem to want to avoid selling at a loss. It's no longer a cause, it's just another business move to try fill another niche.
That "talk" was about some MIT kids putting together a minimal box (with a built-in keyboard) based on Apple II design. Other talk said it was based more on SNES design. Either way, it wasn't either a Mac nor a laptop, and $12 was the targeted production cost, not the market retailed price.

The OLPC cannot sustain itself by selling at a loss. It's a non-profit project, but it's not a charity project. Rather, it's a project that is designed to help philanthropic and educational organizations provide tools that are normally prohibitively expensive.

FuturePilot
August 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM
If Intel hates Linux so much, why do they provide open drivers for their wireless and graphics cards? :confused:

arsenic23
August 10th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Linux is not just software, it is a countercultural movement whose most fervent adherents believe in the overthrow of the Microsoft monopoly.

lol - 'countercultural movement' ?? Really? I just thought it was software with a very practial developement model.

Delever
August 10th, 2008, 09:31 PM
It's interesting to see Intel/AMD/nVidia/IBM praised/hated depending on moon phase, it seems. Last week nVidia was praised, today it's ATI, last week Intel was godly, today they are evil. Maybe they are just companies which act like companies interested in business, as sad as that might be.

Newuser1111
August 10th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Intel "tried to kill" it because it had AMD.
Microsoft "tried to kill" it because it had Linux.

stinger30au
August 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM

this is the same mentality employed by McDonald restaurants world wide

Canis familiaris
August 11th, 2008, 07:10 AM
If Intel hates Linux so much, why do they provide open drivers for their wireless and graphics cards? :confused:

Intel does not hate Linux.
But it hated OLPC for sure because it had AMD Geode in it.

Naiki Muliaina
August 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Intel originaly had thier chip in the machine. They pulled out for a number of reasons. Bear in mind although it is a charitable act being in the OLPC project. Its been hit by more snags than Michal Jackson when he fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

Linky to buisuness weeks info on break up (http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jan2008/id2008018_145303.htm)

At the end of the day Intel is a business. Charitys all good and well, but money doesnt grow on trees. Intel can be faulted for leaving the project to a degree moraly. But they didnt actually do anything wrong by leaving. There possibly is rivalry between Intel and AMD, but they didnt ruin the project because of it.

Nostrafus
August 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
I just have to point out poor journalistic integrity on this one... one thing I've always hated in the media is the use of the word "I"

Any writing supposedly stating fact should be devoid of opinion of any kind. It should always be "These are the facts." not "These are the facts and here's what I think about it." one step away from propaganda (which is "These are the facts, here's what I think about it, and here's what you should think about it too.")

Just pointing out that any time you're reading an article on something, the use of the word "I" discredits the writer as being a fair journalist, also discrediting the authenticity of what is being written.

SunnyRabbiera
August 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I didn't know Intel was ever hostile to Linux.
Could you throw some light into the matter. (I like to read history :) )

Well I think it was like 10 years ago Intel wanted to lock linux out of the architecture and stuff but better heads prevailed.
There was a if controversy about something like that.

Brunellus
August 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I've got no love lost for MSFT or Intel, but I'm closing this thread. Post the link and discuss it, fine--but please don't use these forums as just another way to attract attention to a digg story.