PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with gnome-themes configure

boblq
August 10th, 2008, 02:24 AM
My attempt to upgrade to 8.04 bombed out with an error message about the configuration of gnome-themes. I try

$> sudo dpkg--configure gnome-themes

and get

gtk-update-icon-cache: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl.

In an earlier forum post I find:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=576431

<quote>
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 points to the file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200

I read on a forum that one other person had a problem like this with version 1200 of the pixbuf and he was able to get around it by changing the pointer to an earlier version (libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000). So, I did that and was able to apt-get install gnome-themes gnome-accessibility-themes ubuntu-desktop. The apt-get dist-upgrade to finish the upgrade.
</quote>

I am pointing at libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200. Where can I get libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000?

This seems to precede the problem posted earlier with the X server not starting. This appears to be a fairly common problem that recurs from time to time. It would be nice to have a fix.

TIA,

BobLQ

boblq
August 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
bump.

He's back. I am going to keep bugging you folks. I have been bragging to all of my friends about how "Ubuntu just works." Now I have to eat my words. This upgrade has cost me at least two days work.

I am hunting libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000 and seem to be closing in on it by compiling gtk+ Just figuring out which version of gtl+ contains libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000 is something I only know haw to do by compiling gtk+. There must be abetter way. If I find a solution I will post it.

Help though would be appreciated.

BobLQ

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.

Sir Winston Churchill

My attempt to upgrade to 8.04 bombed out with an error message about the configuration of gnome-themes. I try

$> sudo dpkg--configure gnome-themes

and get

gtk-update-icon-cache: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_once_init_enter_impl.

In an earlier forum post I find:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=576431

<quote>
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 points to the file /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200

I read on a forum that one other person had a problem like this with version 1200 of the pixbuf and he was able to get around it by changing the pointer to an earlier version (libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000). So, I did that and was able to apt-get install gnome-themes gnome-accessibility-themes ubuntu-desktop. The apt-get dist-upgrade to finish the upgrade.
</quote>

I am pointing at libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1200. Where can I get libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000?

This seems to precede the problem posted earlier with the X server not starting. This appears to be a fairly common problem that recurs from time to time. It would be nice to have a fix.

TIA,

BobLQ

boblq
August 10th, 2008, 05:12 PM
The fix referred to above works. My question,

"Where can I get libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000?" has the following answer. This library is part of gtk (Gimp Tool Kit). I downloaded the source for gtk+-2.9.4 from ftp.gimp.org. Then I compiled it. Actually I tried several versions before finding libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000.

HTH someone else.

It was a PITA though. Something better handled by the distro than me.

Does anyone know where to get libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.1000 without compiling it. Or some apt-get magic? I may well have done this the hard way.

I still have a major problem with X not starting. See
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884780&highlight=boblq

I am learning more about Gimp, GTK, Pango, Cairo, etc and now X than I really want to know.

So it goes,

BobLQ