PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] GNOME Setting Daemon startup error

Greenknight04
August 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on the HP 2133 mini-note, the little laptop from HP. Every time I boot up, it gets to the login screen fine, and I log in. Then, it creates a white square in the top right corner of the screen, and starts loading up. It loads up to the main screen, and I am presented with the following error message as a pop-up.

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in."

After a short period I can close it and proceed normally, but if I force quit it restarts the system. Is this an issue with Ubuntu, GNOME, or something else? Thanks in advance to anyone who might help.

phidia
August 10th, 2008, 01:49 AM
There are some posts here that claim opening System->Administration->Network and changing it back to localhost then rebooting will fix this.

You can try that-hope it helps.

Greenknight04
August 10th, 2008, 11:41 PM
There are some posts here that claim opening System->Administration->Network and changing it back to localhost then rebooting will fix this.

You can try that-hope it helps.

I tried it- thanks for the suggestion- but it didn't work. I changed it to localhost, then restarted. It did exactly the same thing as before.

Greenknight04
August 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
I had a realization on this issue. When I was first configuring the internet, I was using an ethernet cable to connect. Whenever I started the computer with the ethernet cable plugged in, it would go to the same screen with a blank white square in the corner at load-up, and then stop. Does that help at all?

adam_kimber
August 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Check this forum thread and its links. Especially the blog link one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577946&page=3

Greenknight04
August 12th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Check this forum thread and its links. Especially the blog link one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=577946&page=3

That doesn't quite seem to solve the problem- all the people who had such issues were missing something in their etc/network/interfaces file. Mine looks like;

"auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet dhcp
<info here>

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
<info here>
auto eth0

auto wlan0
"

Is there something wrong with that configuration in my /etc/network/interfaces file?

CrusaderAD
August 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I've got the same issue. It seems to be connected to the LAN but no internet connection, no way to remote desktop a connection either... will post if I find anything.

CrusaderAD
August 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I got the gnome-settings-daemon error and found a resolution... well it seems to have worked. Refer to the last few posts in:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=868450&page=2

Unplugging the machine for a few minutes seems to reset the card. There's no error when logging back in, but still no internet connection. My network interfaces file looks to be ok... getting there.

Greenknight04
August 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I got the gnome-settings-daemon error and found a resolution... well it seems to have worked. Refer to the last few posts in:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=868450&page=2

Unplugging the machine for a few minutes seems to reset the card. There's no error when logging back in, but still no internet connection. My network interfaces file looks to be ok... getting there.

Good luck with that. I'm in a slightly different situation- for one, I have an internet connection- but I'll check out the page. Thanks again- I'll let you know if I find anything.

Edit: Seems that that thread addresses an issue of internet connection, not of said error message. Not entirely what I was looking for.

Greenknight04
August 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Bump

CrusaderAD
August 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Unplugging the machine for a few minutes resolved the error message for me. As for the internet connection, it was my switch. I just plugged it into another router. All seems well now.

CrusaderAD
August 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Unplugging the machine for a few minutes resolved my error message issue. As for my internet connection, it was my switch throwing it off. I plugged it into a new router and all is well now.

Greenknight04
August 22nd, 2008, 01:26 AM
Unplugging the machine for a few minutes resolved my error message issue. As for my internet connection, it was my switch throwing it off. I plugged it into a new router and all is well now.

My problem is I'm using a laptop, so I can't unplug the machine. That doesn't seem to help.

Greenknight04
August 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Bump

peterius
August 31st, 2008, 04:47 PM
I'm really annoyed by the GNOME Settings Daemon thing. But I think its just a bug in gnome. I read elsewhere here a bunch of posts about renaming config files, etc.. maybe.

For me, it occurs if I stop and start X, its like if X exits, gnome doesn't properly clean everything up so when you try to start it up again, the gnome settings daemon is still running or something. Its just an annoyance but it is a bug.

Although this network stuff is probably separate.