PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] HELP HELP gnome-settings-daemon failed

4t0m1c_w07f
August 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I just recently setup my dual display and after a while of using both screens, the gnome-settings-daemon failed and reverted to some ugly theme..

Here is the output from the terminal:

jared@4t0m1c_w07f:~$ gnome-settings-daemon

** (gnome-settings-daemon:7482): WARNING **: Failed to acquire org.gnome.SettingsDaemon

** (gnome-settings-daemon:7482): WARNING **: Could not acquire name
jared@4t0m1c_w07f:~$

Please HELP!

ploum
August 17th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Look in your /etc/hosts file.

If you see :

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 my_name

Change it to :

127.0.0.1 localhost my_name

I know, this is pure non-sense but it seems to fix the issue.

juliobahar
October 15th, 2010, 05:49 AM

If you see :

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 my_name

Change it to :

Wow this is massive. How on earth did you get to this solution? I'm impressed!!
By the way, I another thing to do to fix some screwed up and missing gnome files like when I mistakenly deleted gnome.panel, is:

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop

This occurred to me when I wanted to completely remove evolution from my ubuntu box

getut
October 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM

If you see :

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 my_name

Change it to :

Ughh.. how do I get this fix to stay? I was having a similar issue (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1592561) with gnome-settings-daemon and tried this as a possible fix. I wasn't getting any error and g-s-d startup but my hosts looked similar to what you posted so I tried it anyway.

Long story short, network manager keeps partially undoing the changes I make and partially setting it back to the way I was before the change, NOW I get the error that you post but its my own doing.

getut
October 15th, 2010, 09:26 PM
NM.. I figured it out. Only g-s-d's that I try to open after the first one start throw the error. If the one I am starting will be the first or only one to run, then it runs with no errors at all.

At least I'm back to where I started now. Theming still isn't working but no hosts file related errors.

juliobahar
October 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Long story short, network manager keeps partially undoing the changes I make and partially setting it back to the way I was before the change, NOW I get the error that you post but its my own doing.

Have you tried this

sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop

I can't explain what has network manager got to do with your /etc/hosts file.
We need more information about your error.
Thanks