PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lynx downloads without lauching file-roller

sgornick
August 9th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Not sure if this is something new in Hardy or if I just never noticed it before but even though I am using the Lynx text mode browser to download a gzipped file, the file-roller gui tool will still launch after the file is downloaded.

I'm using terminal window for a reason and thus I don't want any gui utilities. I did figure out a workaround ... disable the DISPLAY=:0.0 environment variable and lynx will then act the way I want it to.

$ unset DISPLAY
$ lynx

This is obviously not the best way to solve the problem, as I don't want to always go without DISPLAY=:0.0, but I couldn't figure out where else I can tell Lynx to not use file-roller.

I am assuming it has to do with mime-type but I couldn't figure out what to change to cause Lynx to use its built-in download (text mode) to handle gzip files.

pauper
August 11th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Hmm. Let say you go to http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual and high-
light "HTML compressed (232K bytes gzipped)". Then press "d" (DOWNLOAD), select
"Save to disk", press Enter or Right Arrow--enter proper path, press Enter.
And a while later file-roller pops up?

Try uncommenting (line 3380?) in /etc/lynx.cfg

#GZIP_PATH:

sgornick
August 11th, 2008, 05:19 AM
> Then press "d" (DOWNLOAD),

Oh man, am I embarrassed. I was pressing enter on the link, rather than pressing "d". If I press "d", lynx will ask me if I want to download ... which is what I want. Apparently if I press enter, lynx tries to launch the appropriate app and uses the mimetype to know which app to launch.

Problem solved. Thank you for the help.