PDA

View Full Version : is it possible that microsoft can get some idea on linux source code?

mdialogo
August 9th, 2008, 06:59 PM
is it possible that microsoft can view linux source code and use it to enhance their windows os?

Delever
August 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Of course.

Zlatan
August 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM
is it possible that microsoft can view linux source code and use it to enhance their windows os?

i definitely think- yes. of course, if linux is open source:)

zmjjmz
August 9th, 2008, 07:09 PM
So long as the provide the source code, yes.

pheonixind
August 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, but why would they want a stable OS? They make money on their new "more stable" versions.

jsiei97
August 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Both yes and no, that kind off companies kind off dislike the GPL license since it could infect there own codebase...

However code under BSD type license can help big companies and don't force them to give anything back, here Apple MacOSX is a good example.

/Johan

mikjp
August 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Of course. But they prefer copying source code from BSD, as BSD license allows keeping derivative software closed.

mikko

Newuser1111
August 9th, 2008, 08:22 PM
is it possible that microsoft can view linux source code and use it to enhance their windows os?Apple already does. So why not Microsoft?

Steveway
August 9th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Microsoft uses (used?!) the TCP/IP Stack from BSD because they couldn't get it right.

lukjad
August 9th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Windows can always copy Linux but it would be shooting itself in the foot because it would at least partially open source. Balmer would rather die than here of that.

original_jamingrit
August 9th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Microsoft is able to learn from the linux source without infringing on the GPL. They just can't copy and paste specific ideas or code. But they are able to take general ideas and implement them in a proprietary system.

Riffer
August 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM
They probably have already. I'm hope its not done as a corporate decision, but I would think a few of their coders have looked/copied some OSS.

spupy
August 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Microsoft is able to learn from the linux source without infringing on the GPL. They just can't copy and paste specific ideas or code. But they are able to take general ideas and implement them in a proprietary system.

Exactly. What makes Linux is not programming hacks that can be copy-pasted by MS to make Windows better.

By the way, is there any way to check if a close-source project is illegally using code from open source?

MaxIBoy
August 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I would be very sad to hear that Windows contains Linux code. I think it would reflect badly on Linux's reputation if that were discovered.

Riffer
August 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I would be very sad to hear that Windows contains Linux code. I think it would reflect badly on Linux's reputation if that were discovered.

Really? I would think that it would just offer more proof that given decent code MS can still screw it up. :)

DeadSuperHero
August 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Really? I would think that it would just offer more proof that given decent code MS can still screw it up. :)

Or that we could use it to make them cough up more code for the Wine project.

MaxIBoy
August 9th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Yeah. We should hold out for the full source to DirectX 10 if that happens.

Fixman
August 9th, 2008, 10:52 PM
95% of windows is copied from Open Source projects. So yes.

lukjad
August 9th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Tabbed browsing comes from Firefox (If I am not mistaken) and suddenly IE has it too. Hmmmm...

Hyper Tails
August 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
From my mind.....yes.
because they should decrease the price the price a bit. Well ALOT because its so high and i would have to say alot of money for it and its like the preduim is $150!! and the uiltame is $400!!!!

When you install it. it come with barely anything!!!

its comes with a caulator (Oh boy a caulator i can make a good project from this handy thing) not..

but Linux in hand come with everything you need like openoffice,pidgen,firefox,voip ekia softphone,gimp

i dual boot with vista and hardy and to be telling the truth i think Linux is better..

GO Linux GO GO GO!!!111!!!

windows could do the same thing to.

then i would say GO WINDOWS AND LINUX GO GO GO!!!111!!!

enough said

zipperback
August 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM

Microsoft has in many ways used open source for their systems, not just from Linux but many open source code bases.

You do realize where their TCP/IP stack comes from RIGHT?

- zipperback
:popcorn:

iwc5893
August 9th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Can anyone name one thing that MS has added to their various OS's/programs that somebody else didn't come up with first? Just about everything that MS has released has been an attempt to include something that somebody else had first.

Ozor Mox
August 9th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Microsoft has in many ways used open source for their systems.

- zipperback

Does anyone know how that got found out? The biggest problem I'd have thought would not be that Microsoft can look at the Linux source code and get ideas, but that they can actually copy it right in, and there would be no evidence that they did because the OS is proprietary.

zipperback
August 9th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Does anyone know how that got found out?

The TCP/IP stack in Windows was derived from the BSD TCP/IP stack which is available under the BSD License. It is quite legal for them to use it.

Open source doesn't always mean they can't use it legally in their closed source system.

- zipperback

LaRoza
August 9th, 2008, 11:47 PM
They are limited, even if they wanted to steal. The kernel code is very specific and would be useless to Windows devs for the most part. Anything worth taking, they should take (ext3 support for example, noone would complain if they built support for that into Windows!)

steveneddy
August 10th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Tabbed browsing comes from Firefox (If I am not mistaken) and suddenly IE has it too. Hmmmm...

The IE devs actually paid the Firefox devs to "share" the code with the new IE under the guise that it would make the new Firefox work better with Windows.

articpenguin
August 10th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I know 1 filesystem feature they copied

Microsoft copied XFSs direct I/O feature and implemented it on ntfs for vista.

Like i said before Microsoft dosent invent ideas they copy them,buy smaller companys and brand there names on it and hire people to write stuff like they hired david cutler to write the lousy nt kernel.

Ozor Mox
August 10th, 2008, 12:50 AM
The TCP/IP stack in Windows was derived from the BSD TCP/IP stack which is available under the BSD License. It is quite legal for them to use it.

Open source doesn't always mean they can't use it legally in their closed source system.

- zipperback

Yes I know it is perfectly legal since it is BSD licenced, but I mean how did it get discovered that BSD's TCP/IP stack was in Windows, since no one can see the code? Did they publish this fact? And if so, why would they want to?

Giant Speck
August 10th, 2008, 01:02 AM
From my mind.....yes.
because they should decrease the price the price a bit. Well ALOT because its so high and i would have to say alot of money for it and its like the preduim is $150!! and the uiltame is $400!!!!

When you install it. it come with barely anything!!!

its comes with a caulator (Oh boy a caulator i can make a good project from this handy thing) not..

but Linux in hand come with everything you need like openoffice,pidgen,firefox,voip ekia softphone,gimp

i dual boot with vista and hardy and to be telling the truth i think Linux is better..

GO Linux GO GO GO!!!111!!!

windows could do the same thing to.

then i would say GO WINDOWS AND LINUX GO GO GO!!!111!!!

enough said

Stop posting until you can learn some damn English. Or stop pressing the shift key at the wrong time.

MellonCollie
August 10th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Tabbed browsing comes from Firefox (If I am not mistaken)

Some history...8)

Six years later, in 1994, BookLink Technologies featured tabbed windows in its InternetWorks browser. That same year, a text editor called UltraEdit also appeared with a modern multi-row tabbed interface. The tabbed interface approach was then followed by the Internet Explorer shell NetCaptor in 1997. These were followed by a number of others like IBrowse in 1999, Opera in 2000 (with the release of version 4), Mozilla in 2001 (through the MultiZilla extension developed by HJ van Rantwijk in October of 2000 and a built-in tabbed browsing mode added to Mozilla 0.9.5 in October of 2001), Konqueror 3.1 in January 2003, and Safari in 2003.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabbed_document_interface

Redache
August 10th, 2008, 03:13 AM

And they've even managed to make that not work properly. I've seen some infuriating things go wrong with it for no reason.

Microsoft probably do take ideas from Open Source Projects but it's impossible to really know because Microsoft wouldn't exactly lord over the fact.

Hyper Tails
August 10th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Stop posting until you can learn some damn English. Or stop pressing the shift key at the wrong time.

get some tea,or some ice cream, listen to some smooth jazz and RELAX!!!

we all make some typeos at time

i just like making (!!!111!!!) when i am happy.

shech!!!!!!

don't flip out

shadylookin
August 10th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Yes MS can take ideas freely from open source code. Copyright(as per my understanding) really only covers a specific implementation. So even if code is gpled they can still use ideas they just can't copy and paste the code and claim it as theirs.

Giant Speck
August 10th, 2008, 07:48 AM
get some tea,or some ice cream, listen to some smooth jazz and RELAX!!!

we all make some typeos at time

i just like making (!!!111!!!) when i am happy.

shech!!!!!!

don't flip out

You try to defend making occasional typos by spelling typos incorrectly. Sure... I'll relax.

PurposeOfReason
August 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
95% of windows is copied from Open Source projects. So yes.
Proof please.

Riffer
August 10th, 2008, 07:55 AM
You try to defend making occasional typos by spelling typos incorrectly. Sure... I'll relax.

While I do appreciate your feelings around typos, spelling and grammar, there are better (and more polite) ways of getting your point across.

Edited to add: From this forums code of conduct.

"Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention."

Giant Speck
August 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM
While I do appreciate your feelings around typos, spelling and grammar, there are better (and more polite) ways of getting your point across.

Edited to add: From this forums code of conduct.

"Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention."

I was done when I made that comment. And I wasn't trying to be impolite by making it. If he really had a problem with it, he would have reported the post, but it seems he has not as I would have been notified already.

Oh, and while we are quoting the code of conduct, it seems you have skipped this one:

11. If you have found a post that you feel is inappropriate or that violates the forum code of conduct, please use the report post function. Do not attempt to moderate discussions or correct other users yourself.

I have nothing more for this thread, so have a nice day. :)

Riffer
August 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I was done when I made that comment. And I wasn't trying to be impolite by making it. If he really had a problem with it, he would have reported the post, but it seems he has not as I would have been notified already.

Oh, and while we are quoting the code of conduct, it seems you have skipped this one:

I have nothing more for this thread, so have a nice day. :)

LMAO touche`

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM

Do you realise someone could be dyslexic or physically handicapped?

Hyper Tails
August 10th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Do you realise somesone could be dyslexic or physically handicapped?

i'm not dyslexic or handicapped

but i just make alot of mistakes sometimes.

i think we should get back to the topic.

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM
i'm not dyslexic or handicapped

but i just make alot of mistakes sometimes.

I was making a generalised statement. Anyway there is nothing wrong in making mistake. You should have Reported Him somehow.
/off topic

Back to the topic
It is unlikely because Microsoft would not prefer to use GPL based products.

jsiei97
August 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM

Sorry I think the topic is lost :rolleyes:

/Johan