PDA

View Full Version : Windows Forums

steveneddy
August 9th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Read this and had to share.

Many people don't realize this but Vista is different from XP.
To understand how to build a machine for Vista, you have to let go some of what you know about XP.
Some of your XP knowledge will be obsolete once you transition to Vista (especially 64-bit).

Here's the site.

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=41015

This is just so funny to me.

I was actually looking for forum feedback on the Mojave project, but there appears there is none available.

EDIT:

And this URL

http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=40524&hl=mojave

tamoneya
August 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM
ha. The largest sub forum by far is the support sud forum: http://thevistaforums.com/index.php?showforum=54

No surprise there.

nick09
August 9th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Microsoft should of held the project back and optimized it more. 512MB minimal is not a excuse.

Inane_Asylum
August 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I know I haunted the Vista support forums for quite a while. Every time I would open any sort of explorer window, or even firefox, I'd get an error that would say "Windows Explorer has stopped workin and needs to restart." A desktop restart would follow, wash, rinse, repeat...reformat:mad:.

Wish I could get Ubuntu fully working on my laptop.

spupy
August 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
What are their stickies like? "Before asking questions, restart!" :D

(And I am not joking, this is a very good solution to most windows problems...)

DeadSuperHero
August 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I remember that place!

Actually, the people there are quite nice. They're pretty much the polar opposite of a Mac user. Their general mindset is: "Hey, this looks nice!", "Hey, news of an update!", and "Hey, neat! That guy uses Linux!"

I'd recommend to most people to try not to flame them, they seem like an okay bunch.

DoktorSeven
August 9th, 2008, 09:24 PM
That first thread... people talking about Vista idling at 20-30%+ even on decent computers? Really? I don't think I could take that.

Even XP idles at near zero, and, well, I think you know you can get Linux to idle as close to zero as possible :)

Spike-X
August 9th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Many people don't realize this but Vista is different from XP.
To understand how to build a machine for Vista, you have to let go some of what you know about XP.

Specifically, the idea that 1 Gb of RAM really should be more than enough to run an operating system and a few programs.

init1
August 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
That first thread... people talking about Vista idling at 20-30%+ even on decent computers?

Umm Ubuntu idles at 20% on my laptop. It's only 2 years old. Debian idles at zero though.

Delever
August 10th, 2008, 03:25 AM
That first thread... people talking about Vista idling at 20-30%+ even on decent computers? Really? I don't think I could take that.

Even XP idles at near zero, and, well, I think you know you can get Linux to idle as close to zero as possible :)

Yeah, I had that on vista with AMD 3400+, so I was shocked by idling percentage on ubuntu.