PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP- Can't install regardles of AMD/Standard

teaguepatrick
August 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I have live CDs for both versions and neither work. I know the the "Standard Personal Computer" cd for Pentium,Celeron etc works fine as I installed it on my desktop and it came directly from Ubutu via Isle of Man, and the AMD works fine too.

I'm installing this on my lady friend's computer - her Windows XP is filled with malware and I suggested Ubuntu, as I love it and its obviously superior - but I'm getting stuck on not being able to install it and I don't know why. Neither version works. Below are her specs - What am I doing wrong????

Its a HP Pavilion ze4400 mobile AMD Athalon 2200+ 1.05ghz 192 MB RAM

I have a live CD for the AMD architecture and when I try it I get an error message saying that I need a different Linux kernal due to hardware. How can I get this installed?????

Kevbert
August 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Your problem is the amount of memory is too low to install the normal Live Ubuntu CD (you need at least 384Mb RAM). You may be able to use the Alternate CD (which has a text based installer).

teaguepatrick
August 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
THANKS!! Your right - didn't even think of tha - and her PC is one POS and the keyboard is going out anyhow. I'll try the text based installer and see if that works but this thing is on its way out.

I love you and Ubuntu forums and this superior OS. Thanks!