PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Automatic Partition Option!

iheartubuntu
August 9th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Im trying to install Ubuntu on my brothers computer who wants a dual boot setup.

But when installing and at the partition page, it doesnt give me the automatic partition option where I do the slider and have 25% XP and 75% Ubuntu. Does anyone know how to get it back? I only have two options, Guided using the entire disc or manual, which Id rather not do. Any help please! Thanks :)

pheonixind
August 9th, 2008, 07:07 PM
I'm not sure why the option for the slider is not there, but I do know that if you don't clean the windows partition, then run the defragmentor it could cause some major problems for your windows partition.

I always use manual partitioning, and I have seen the sliders you are speaking of in the guided partitioner. Does anyone know why his is no longer showing up?

housam
August 9th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Im trying to install Ubuntu on my brothers computer who wants a dual boot setup.

But when installing and at the partition page, it doesnt give me the automatic partition option where I do the slider and have 25% XP and 75% Ubuntu. Does anyone know how to get it back? I only have two options, Guided using the entire disc or manual, which Id rather not do. Any help please! Thanks :)

Maybe because you don't have enough continuous space for the partitioner to give you that option. defrag your disk 2-3 times and see if appears after that.

hgfdsa
August 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Maybe because you don't have enough contentious space for the partitioner to give you that option. defrag your disk 2-3 times and see if appears after that.

I had a 200 gb xp drive which had 180 gb full and I removed 80 gb but didn't defrag and the slider still showed up.

iheartubuntu
August 9th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips. I ended up teaching myself how to partition manually :)

lisati
August 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM
I had a 200 gb xp drive which had 180 gb full and I removed 80 gb but didn't defrag and the slider still showed up.
Don't forget to clean out temporary files from the Windows %temp% directory - it's surprising how much clutter can accumulate that the standard Windows "cleanup manager" misses. There's a couple of programs to do the job at http://www.geocities.com/rjv_soft/ssc.html