PDA

View Full Version : should fast food have wood toys in happy meals

MeTylerDurden
August 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Could the industry switch from plastic to wood toys and save alot of polution in the process. By the way why is Beijing so polluted .. sure they have alot of cars but all those people are just human air filters when they breath..

schauerlich
August 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM
By the way why is Beijing so polluted .. sure they have alot of cars but all those people are just human air filters when they breath..

I'm not denying that China has pollution problems, but a lot of the smog that seems to hang over Beijing is actually just humidity and fog. The mountains next to it tend to make moisture collect in the basin and winds only swirl it around. NBC did a test on the Nightly News last night when it was really hazy and they said that there was 95% humidity but the air was safe to breathe.

MeTylerDurden
August 9th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I don't know who that sportscaster was last night , but he really got on my nerves .

mips
August 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I'm not denying that China has pollution problems, but a lot of the smog that seems to hang over Beijing is actually just humidity and fog. The mountains next to it tend to make moisture collect in the basin and winds only swirl it around. NBC did a test on the Nightly News last night when it was really hazy and they said that there was 95% humidity but the air was safe to breathe.

The area around Beijing is also turning into desert and they also have a lot of dust. Some of those dust storms are hectic!

As for the question about toys I think they should ban that practise as it is aimed sqaurly at getting the kids to eat junk food. Some countries have already banned the practise of toys with food.

schauerlich
August 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
As for the question about toys I think they should ban that practise as it is aimed sqaurly at getting the kids to eat junk food. Some countries have already banned the practise of toys with food.

You can't legislate good habits. Coercion only breeds resistance.

MeTylerDurden
August 9th, 2008, 07:49 PM
But you can legislate to make foods healthier and to make toys out of wood an organic material. Our Food and Drug Administration is too busy trying to make food unhealthy

schauerlich
August 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM
But you can legislate to make foods healthier and to make toys out of wood an organic material. Our Food and Drug Administration is too busy trying to make food unhealthy

How about people make decisions for themselves what kind of food they want to eat? The government should not have jurisdiction over my stomach.

MeTylerDurden
August 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
ok, so allow the saturated fats and all the other things you can't see or taste. If the Government can pass a bible of laws to make food unhealthy why not vica-versa, because its about profit. Who is gonna pay for all the unhealthy peoples health care..
Its not about what the govt. tells us to eat it's about keeping food natural and not warped or tampered with.

markp1989
August 9th, 2008, 08:05 PM
How about people make decisions for themselves what kind of food they want to eat? The government should not have jurisdiction over my stomach.

i couldn't agree more, if i wanted to eat fast/junk food all day every day, that's my buisness

SunnyRabbiera
August 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM
yes but using wood is not a good idea, if you are worried about pollution you would be worried about trees too.

hvac3901
August 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
When did it become the responsibility of everyone to protect people from being stupid?

chucky chuckaluck
August 9th, 2008, 08:14 PM
post cancelled. (should have gone for the rhyme. oh well...)

MeTylerDurden
August 9th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Trees are harvested as is corn.. just not yearly. But oil is harvested every few billion years... I think wood toys in happy meals would be a step in the right direction..
Really I am Burger Meister Meister Burger and no kids can own a Toy!!

schauerlich
August 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
ok, so allow the saturated fats and all the other things you can't see or taste. If the Government can pass a bible of laws to make food unhealthy why not vica-versa, because its about profit. Who is gonna pay for all the unhealthy peoples health care..
Its not about what the govt. tells us to eat it's about keeping food natural and not warped or tampered with.

We already have laws requiring ingredients to be disclosed. I don't really have a problem with nutrition facts. But it's your fault if you don't read them and get fat because you eat bad food.

mips
August 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM
When did it become the responsibility of everyone to protect people from being stupid?

Yeah but somehow you have to protect the kids if the parents are stupid. Way to easy to have kids if you aks me.

hvac3901
August 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah but somehow you have to protect the kids if the parents are stupid. Way to easy to have kids if you aks me.

Agree with that completely.

lukjad
August 9th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Wooden toys mean less trees and more fuel burnt.

schauerlich
August 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Wooden toys mean less trees and more fuel burnt.

Actually, most of the wood we use for lumber and paper is grown on "tree farms," meaning those trees wouldn't be there unless there had been a demand for more wood. So in a way, you might be reducing the number of trees by decreasing the demand for wood.

rune0077
August 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Not entirely true, because price plays a role here as well. Unhealthy food tends to be cheap. Organic/ecologic/healthy food costs more than their less healthy counterparts (at least where I live). If you're just a poor student, or if you're a parent with low income trying to support three kids, sometimes you really have no choice but to go for the less healthy option.

Of course there should be no government intervention in what we eat, but maybe there should be some kind of regulation that says, that the healthier food is, the cheaper it gets. If junk food and candybars cost what the ecological food costs today, there would be a lot less people with weigth issues.

nerd0795
August 9th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Get rid of them all together. That way kids would stop going to fast food stores just for the toy. Fast food is causing people to become over weight.

Wood would work better. But then they are cutting down trees.
(I don't think kids would like it as much)

Koselara
August 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
You can't legislate good habits. Coercion only breeds resistance.

In rare cases like Prohibition or that are linked to the rare unusually strong belief, yes. In cases of most past legally-affected behavior, however, your claim is inaccurate; most people these days are so focused on just living their everyday lives that they typically only rebel against things that require a substantial increase in effort. Sure, they'll gripe and not everyone complies, but increasing numbers in following generations see the law as "normal life" to obey with little thought.

Based on the initial "it's my body/kid you can't make me" grumbling, if the above was wrong then most people still wouldn't be wearing seat belts, allowing their children to be educated, integrating people of different genders & races in the same formerly-segregated places. I'm not saying I like all of the laws (I doubt anybody does), just commenting on humans not rebelling against most new ones. :)

zipperback
August 10th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Instead of "should fast food have wood toys in happy meals", perhaps a more appropriate question would be "Why are you poisoning your children with happy meals?"

There isn't anything happy about them.

- zipperback
:popcorn:

Koselara
August 10th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Could the industry switch from plastic to wood toys and save alot of polution in the process.
I don't think so. There's quite a bit of pollution produced at all the stages of production of wood as well, including creating the tools needed for all those stages & transporting them all to the factory -- saws, machines, trucks, etc. Then more pollution to shape/assemble the wood, create the paints & final coat (even if the ingredients are organic, the process of mixing them isn't), machines to apply paint/coating, others to remove the avalanche in scrap wood, and probably more steps I'm not thinking of offhand. (Oh: the toy usually then ends up, paint & all, in a landfill.) It seems like the change would change the kinds of pollution rather than reduce it. :confused:

Given all it would ultimately do is either damage the profit margin or raise prices through the roof, I think they'd be better off skipping the toy and enticing kids some other way.

By the way why is Beijing so polluted .. sure they have alot of cars but all those people are just human air filters when they breath.. I believe it's the same as in places like Los Angeles -- human beings can't hope to come anywhere near "filtering" the amount of pollutants created by our cars, let alone the huge surge in industry. From our respiratory perspective, also, the carbon dioxide we excrete when we breathe out is a pollutant, so our species' presence isn't helping matters; plants are what is needed for that.

Giant Speck
August 10th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Could the industry switch from plastic to wood toys and save alot of polution in the process.

You'd be solving one environmental problem with another one. You'd be going from causing pollution to cutting down forests.

hvac3901
August 10th, 2008, 02:56 AM
if the above was wrong then most people still wouldn't be wearing seat belts, allowing their children to be educated, integrating people of different genders & races in the same formerly-segregated places.

You make a interesting argument. with respects to your civil rights angle of integration.

I have said before there are limits as to what the government should and should not do, and limits as to what the people should expect of them. Expecting your government to tell you what to eat, is begging to be told what to do when your done eating. I for one like choice, I like free will. I choose to eat more vegetables than meat. I should not to eat beef. I don't want to be told i cannot the psychological response to not being able to do something is different than having the ability and choosing not to. I choose to make a choice every time.

starcannon
August 10th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I just buy my kids items off the regular menu, nothing to get stuck in their hhhhasophagus that way either.

solitaire
August 10th, 2008, 03:10 AM
There would be a "Health& Safety" issue with wooden toys....

Kids would end up eating the wood as it would probably be more tastier than the burger they got with it!!! :D:D:D

schauerlich
August 10th, 2008, 03:27 AM
In rare cases like Prohibition or that are linked to the rare unusually strong belief, yes. In cases of most past legally-affected behavior, however, your claim is inaccurate; most people these days are so focused on just living their everyday lives that they typically only rebel against things that require a substantial increase in effort. Sure, they'll gripe and not everyone complies, but increasing numbers in following generations see the law as "normal life" to obey with little thought.

Just because people won't rise up in arms doesn't mean that people won't resist the law by ignoring it. What I meant was that you can force somebody to do a certain act, but you can't force a person to like it.

Based on the initial "it's my body/kid you can't make me" grumbling, if the above was wrong then most people still wouldn't be wearing seat belts, allowing their children to be educated, integrating people of different genders & races in the same formerly-segregated places. I'm not saying I like all of the laws (I doubt anybody does), just commenting on humans not rebelling against most new ones. :)

I'd hardly put civil rights on the same level as legislating what foods we can eat.

Even then, I don't know that the federal government handled desegregation well. Forced integration and crosstown bussing did nothing to end racism, it just forced the people who didn't like the other color to be around the other color even more. The feds also violated the separation of powers between state and federal government several times.

I think things like this fall under the "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink" category.

<sarcasm>
And anyways, Natural Selection would take care of those who don't wear seatbelts.
</sarcasm>

forrestcupp
August 10th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I agree that they need to just get rid of the toys altogether. I have a different reason than the rest of you, though. My kid has a toy box full of those little cheaply made pieces of crap and he doesn't need any more.

As for you losers whining about how unhealthy McDonald's is and how unethical it is to eat there, have you even looked at the menu? Did you know they have a whole line of large, filling salad entrees and healthy fruit yogurt desserts? Did you know in Happy Meals you can get fresh apple slices now instead of fries? Did you know that you can buy quality low fat grilled chicken sandwiches that are loaded with vegetables on a whole wheat roll? You can go to McDonald's and it's your own choice whether you eat healthy or unhealthy. But maybe you didn't know that because instead of checking the facts you spend all your time pointing fingers with your preconceived ideas.

MeTylerDurden
August 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I did hear something about Kentucky fried chicken and some other fast food places changing the fry oil to something healthier.

MeTylerDurden
August 10th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah but somehow you have to protect the kids if the parents are stupid.

I was really moved by this comment, how many parents thought that by stuffing their child he or she would become a pro sports star a behemoth. Anyway the kids don't have anyone to help them choose what to eat so there is some responsibility in putting some labeling little kids can read .. ( warning if too much of this is consumed they will remove your colon) or (you are destined to have open heart surgery) -lol there is a very serious question about educating the public on this issue. Thats the least "we the people can do"

kostkon
August 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Could the governments try to educate people about fast-food and save a lot of lives in the process?

schauerlich
August 10th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Anyway the kids don't have anyone to help them choose what to eat

You mean like... a parent?

so there is some responsibility in putting some labeling little kids can read .. ( warning if too much of this is consumed they will remove your colon) or (you are destined to have open heart surgery) -lol there is a very serious question about educating the public on this issue. Thats the least "we the people can do"

A lot of adults don't bother paying attention to that stuff, why would kids?

hvac3901
August 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Could the governments try to educate people about fast-food and save a lot of lives in the process?

Could the people knowing what the food does, make the right choice? Come on, who doesn't know what fast food does to you?

Why should it take an act of congress to inform people of something they already know.

mips
August 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM
You mean like... a parent?

Like I said, sometimes you have to protect the kids from their stupid parents.

schauerlich
August 10th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Like I said, sometimes you have to protect the kids from their stupid parents.

Then let a private advocacy group hold demonstrations and education seminars. Keep government out of it.

Canis familiaris
August 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I would prefer Wood not being used. But replacing wood with plastic is not a solution either. Most plastics are non-biodegradable.

Cap'n Skyler
August 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM

no,the idiots here think any big business has all rights to sell anything and everything to us no matter what.no matter it is bad or dangerous to our health.
fast food here can be a LOT healthier and that is a fact!

hvac3901
August 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
no,the idiots here think any big business has all rights to sell anything and everything to us no matter what.no matter it is bad or dangerous to our health.
fast food here can be a LOT healthier and that is a fact!

Agreed with a totalitarian right to sell anything, but they are not a whole food store, or a health food store, they sell a product fast, and they sell it to people that WANT TO BUY IT. so why should they change..,.. they only change now to maintain an image,, but the root value of sales never goes away. They market a product, and they market it well. It s a consumers choice. the corporation has no responsibility to anyone other than shareholders, and that is t make a profit. It would take an activist or a non-profit to be charged with making food safe. Not a commercial enterprise unless it was in the companies charter to accomplish said ability.

Too many people act like they give it away on your doorstep every wednesday and friday, and you have to choose to throw it away or eat it, while it is cheap it is not free. and you do have a choice.

Cap'n Skyler
August 11th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Agreed with a totalitarian right to sell anything, but they are not a whole food store, or a health food store, they sell a product fast, and they sell it to people that WANT TO BUY IT. so why should they change..,.. they only change now to maintain an image,, but the root value of sales never goes away. They market a product, and they market it well. It s a consumers choice. the corporation has no responsibility to anyone other than shareholders, and that is t make a profit. It would take an activist or a non-profit to be charged with making food safe. Not a commercial enterprise unless it was in the companies charter to accomplish said ability.

Too many people act like they give it away on your doorstep every wednesday and friday, and you have to choose to throw it away or eat it, while it is cheap it is not free. and you do have a choice.
i dont buy that for one minute at all.
so cigarettes are a shining example of the free market selling products freely?
if you for one second think the free market and free will are remotely linked,you are living at michael jackson's house!!
there are greedy forces at work that produce and sell deadly products with impunity.
open your eyes man!!

schauerlich
August 11th, 2008, 02:06 AM
if you for one second think the free market and free will are remotely linked,you are living at michael jackson's house!!
there are greedy forces at work that produce and sell deadly products with impunity.
open your eyes man!!

Don't smoke.

Problem solved.

Cap'n Skyler
August 11th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Don't smoke.

Problem solved.

wow you showed me--i feel so puny now.

schauerlich
August 11th, 2008, 03:22 AM
wow you showed me--i feel so puny now.

Just because tobacco is on the market doesn't mean you have to smoke it.

Just because alcohol is on the market doesn't mean you have to drink it.

Just because McDonalds is on the market doesn't mean you have to eat it.

hvac3901
August 11th, 2008, 03:57 AM
open your eyes man!!

You really (respectfully) ought to put the breaks on, you are talking to a long time tobacco user, I smoked for years, that is until six months ago, and if there is anything i know about things that are bad for you,,, 1st it is you know it is bad for you,,,2nd before you use it, every time that you might be saying you want to stop,,, there is a conscience decision to say F' it. and you do the bad action. their is a decision to Smoking, Drinking, Toking, you name it. every time a person does something bad or good, they make a choice right before.

If you think free will is not a factor, than perhaps you are the one tied up at micheal jacksons house awaiting his reported actions against your free will.

Cap'n Skyler
August 11th, 2008, 06:18 AM
You really (respectfully) ought to put the breaks on, you are talking to a long time tobacco user, I smoked for years, that is until six months ago, and if there is anything i know about things that are bad for you,,, 1st it is you know it is bad for you,,,2nd before you use it, every time that you might be saying you want to stop,,, there is a conscience decision to say F' it. and you do the bad action. their is a decision to Smoking, Drinking, Toking, you name it. every time a person does something bad or good, they make a choice right before.

If you think free will is not a factor, than perhaps you are the one tied up at micheal jacksons house awaiting his reported actions against your free will.

lmao
no way,i dont smoke or drink.and if you think tobacco is just a plant,not so.it is about as engineered as it can be to addict the people dumb enuff to try it.
so what about love canal,ny?fen fen? the ford pinto?yard darts? DDT?there are many many deadly and dangerous products out there.and if you think that is just plain dumb luck,you are wrong.but believe whatever you like.i f'n know better in some cases and will act in my best interest--

forrestcupp
August 11th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Just because tobacco is on the market doesn't mean you have to smoke it.

Just because alcohol is on the market doesn't mean you have to drink it.

Just because McDonalds is on the market doesn't mean you have to eat it.

And, like I tried to say earlier, just because McDonald's is on the market doesn't mean that everything they have to offer is unhealthy. ;)

To the ones here crying about how unhealthy McDonald's is, I ask you to post your weekly menus and portion sizes so LaRoza can examine it and make sure that you never do anything unhealthy.

hvac3901
August 11th, 2008, 06:47 PM
lmao
no way,i dont smoke or drink.

So how would you know what tobacco addiction is really like? And what really goes through your head before you smoke one more cigarette before you quite, you wouldn't know would you?

Smoking is a choice too, as addictive as it is. Trust me I know i chose to smoke for many years, and I chose to quite.

mips
August 11th, 2008, 07:13 PM
To the ones here crying about how unhealthy McDonald's is, I ask you to post your weekly menus and portion sizes so LaRoza can examine it and make sure that you never do anything unhealthy.

Over here our portion sizes are not as big as in the USA. Geez, in the USA you can order a coke from McDonalds that is about 2 litres :shock: and over here I think the biggest is about 500ml-750ml

hvac3901
August 11th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Over here our portion sizes are not as big as in the USA. Geez, in the USA you can order a coke from McDonalds that is about 2 litres :shock: and over here I think the biggest is about 500ml-750ml

And they wouldn't do it that way if the customers didn't like it, or want it that way.

Trollslayer
August 11th, 2008, 07:21 PM
It's one way to get fibre in the meal.

schauerlich
August 11th, 2008, 07:22 PM

I agree, soft drink sizes have gotten pretty ridiculous. About 10 years ago, small was 12oz, medium was 20oz and large was around 30oz. Now small is 20oz at a lot of places, 32oz is medium and 40oz+ is large. McDonalds is actually one of the few restaurants that hasn't made that jump. Medium is still 20oz with the same amount of fries.