PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if its DirectX compatable?

jimi_hendrix
August 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
hi

so im learning basic C++ DirectX programming from a book and ive had it with my microsoft compiler/IDE (what would you expect)...

but i read that not all compilers are compatable with DirectX and i need to know how i would test this/find out

geenux
August 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM
DirectX is not made for GNU/Linux. It's only available in Windows.
So you can't make a directX project on Linux. Look at opengl, which is multi-platform.

jimi_hendrix
August 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM
DirectX is not made for GNU/Linux. It's only available in Windows.

which is the reason i am not asking for an IDE but a way to know...is there a way i can tell or do i simply have to trial and error until i found out

hessiess
August 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM
dont bother with directX, learn OpenGL then you can run your programs on practily any platform/OS.

LaRoza
August 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM
hi

so im learning basic C++ DirectX programming from a book and ive had it with my microsoft compiler/IDE (what would you expect)...

but i read that not all compilers are compatable with DirectX and i need to know how i would test this/find out
You are using a proprietary Microsoft Library so you have to use their compiler.

nrs
August 9th, 2008, 11:58 PM
You are using a proprietary Microsoft Library so you have to use their compiler.
You have to use their platform. but I'm pretty sure you can use other compilers -- like MingW.I'm pretty sure I've done it, or at least compiled other Win32 apps with it.

nrs
August 10th, 2008, 12:00 AM
hi

You download another compiler -- try MingW -- and try compiling/linking it :-P You're absolutely screwed when it comes to non-Windows platforms though.

Ademan
August 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Ok, well, the right way to go about things is to learn OpenGL. However, there is a way to develop DirectX applications on linux, it's called winelib, and it's apparently pretty good. *BUT* really, really, really, you should be learning OpenGL instead!

LaRoza
August 10th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Check the documentation for the compiler in question?