PDA

View Full Version : LInux Longhorn?

Tux.Ice
August 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ifQvQCO7Y

can you do that with the linux kernel?
Or to create an os that looks like that do you need your own?
because im thinking of coding an OS?

however it would be cool to make ubuntu look like that.

SunnyRabbiera
August 9th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Yes its much more possible then you realize, but the longhorn project mutated into vista and we all know how that turned out.
Its a shame too as longhorn shown a lot of promise to be the OS of tomorrow, many have said that most of the betas and testing demos of longhorn were better then what eventually came out.
But just because something looks good doesnt mean it will be good, and just because something is possible doesnt mean it should be done without proper research.
Already Linux has a lot of tools and app that can match vista and longhorn but I think that effects like that are severely over rated.
Thats why I like a balance between stability and effect, and both linux and apple can preform that quite well...
But I think the ideas that MS had were over ambitious and too far ahead of their time.
With todays memory capacity though yes I would say that things are looking good for the flash aspect but for me flash is nothing compared to stability.

quinnten83
August 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I like flash.
Perhaps if gnome or KDE worked together with Compiz, they could make something like that. Maybe a nice idea for gnome 3.0.
Best we do it now, rather than after apple and MS have implemented theirs. Otherwise we will look like copy cats.

Tux.Ice
August 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Longhorn was completed up until build 4718, this build is perfectly stable nad could be released to the public, however there are only 20 copys.

DeadSuperHero
August 9th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I still am sore about how promising Longhorn was, and what Vista is.

On the other hand, KDE4 is probably capable of all the things displayed in the demo, and Gnome 3.0 probably will too!

jeyaganesh
August 9th, 2008, 05:34 PM
My Vista never worked like one in that video. Whenever I open Document folder, it takes few seconds to show up. Thats why I afraid to log on to the Vista partition. I go there only to transfer and maintain my photos.

Dr. C
August 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Longhorn was completed up until build 4718, this build is perfectly stable nad could be released to the public, however there are only 20 copys.

But did this build include all the very complex DRM plumbing for the MPAA and RIAA? Microsoft could have released Longhorn or Vista a lot sooner and with many of the features that people actually wanted if they had said no to the MPAA and RIAA and created an OS that people actually wanted sans DRM.