PDA

View Full Version : New comcast primary account?

discrddseamstrs
November 10th, 2005, 03:53 PM
My Comcast connection works fine. The connection isn't the problem. The email account I had been using was set up with an old Comcast account at another address, that someone else took over. Now that account has been closed, and I need to set up a new primary email account with my current Comcast account (I was too lazy to do this when I moved). So far, the only way I've found to create a primary account is with the Comcast installation software. Which, of course, doesn't work with Linux.

Has anyone found a way around this?

souled
November 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM
You can call Comcast and ask them about it. I'm sure they'll know what to do :)

discrddseamstrs
November 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM
I've called before, and was told that they have no software for Linux, and no plans to develop any.

My boyfriend offered to set it up for me on his laptop (runs Windows XP), but I was hoping someone might have another solution.

souled
November 10th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I wonder why they can't set up a primary e-mail account for you. When I got my cable installed (Comcast also), the guy that hooked everything up just asked what we wanted the primary account to be and he made it. Pretty sure he didn't make it on our computer at home.

rjwood
November 10th, 2005, 05:21 PM
you enter through your browser anyway--don't you?
to set it up on your system, you only need your incoming and outgoing protocal commands. Shouldn't be more than that.
I would just call back and ask for them-go into evolution or whatever you use and set it up.

Help people at these companies get scared easily.

majikstreet
November 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM
i can't help you, but comcast SUCKS! I have comcast high speed internet and digital cable, and they SUCK!

I wish we didn't have them, but their internet is fast when it's up. We used to have all sorts of problems with the internet connection. /me knocks on wood.

discrddseamstrs
November 10th, 2005, 07:27 PM
you enter through your browser anyway--don't you?
to set it up on your system, you only need your incoming and outgoing protocal commands. Shouldn't be more than that.
I would just call back and ask for them-go into evolution or whatever you use and set it up.

Help people at these companies get scared easily.
I've had the account set up and running for nearly a year. I just don't have a Comcast email account right now. Since I'm paying for it anyway, I'd like to be able to use it.

discrddseamstrs
November 10th, 2005, 07:31 PM
i can't help you, but comcast SUCKS! I have comcast high speed internet and digital cable, and they SUCK!

I wish we didn't have them, but their internet is fast when it's up. We used to have all sorts of problems with the internet connection. /me knocks on wood.
They keep giving me ****** splitters that kill my internet and on-demand connections within a few months. I hate using them, but my only other options are no TV with dial-up (I've had issuses getting DSL providers to provide information), or satellite, and for that my apartment complex requires 60 days written notice.

souled
November 10th, 2005, 10:52 PM

I don't think Comcast is THAT bad. I only have Comcast because fiber optics isn't available in my area. The upload for Comcast sucks horribly. It's so sad fiber optics is in an area not 15 minutes from me, with a 10mb up and down connection for the same price as Comcast!