PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't install 8.04 at all

cs_maan
August 9th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Hi guys I'm fairly new to these forums so I'd like to say hi to everyone first and foremost.

And now to get to the issue, I'm having a serious issue installing Ubuntu 8.04, I burned a CD of it and I booted, got past the screen where you choose whether you want to install it or try it out, I select Install Ubuntu, then it goes to a loading screen with the Ubuntu logo on it, after it loads I get a black screen and thats it, everything stops from there and I have to shut off my PC, it just wont go past that point, am I doing something wrong? Also when I push my power button to shut off the computer it beeps, then shows me some errors from Ubuntu which I have no time to read, and then it ejects the CD and shuts off. Whats going on?

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

sandysandy
August 9th, 2008, 05:53 AM
try using the other option of trying it out.

does the live cd boot to desktop.

if it boots, u have option to install it.

regards

cs_maan
August 9th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Well I tried it, and what happened was I heard the sound of it logging on to the desktop but my screen stayed black and I can't see anything at all.

sandysandy
August 9th, 2008, 06:12 AM
do u have 32 bit / 64 bit ubuntu.

is ur computer 32 bit / 64 bit.

what is ur RAM size.

regards

cs_maan
August 9th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I have two hard drives one running 32 bit Windows XP pro, and another hard drive that I've formatted to run Ubuntu 32 bit, my computer runs everything 32 bit including windows, and Ubuntu. I also have 1GB ram. I haven't had problems installing other versions of Ubuntu before, I'd like to add.

sandysandy
August 9th, 2008, 06:38 AM
maybe the CD was not burned properly.

try burning again at slow speed.

u can also order it free of charge from: https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

regards

andrewck
August 9th, 2008, 07:30 AM
cs_maan, I feel like you wrote this thread for me! I am having the same problem installing UbuntuStudio. I can get everything installed, updated, and upgraded but after the UbuntoStudio splash screen loads, all I get is the little "loading" wheel frozen in thought. It doesn't spin, it only has 2 or three little process indicators filled in (didn't get too far) and that's it. I can move it around with the mouse but nothing happens, even if I let it sit 15 minutes.

I also have a 32-bit machine, dual-core, 4GB. Brand new hard drive for the Ubuntu install. I've checked the install disk md5 and used the disk utilities to check disk integrity, as well as to repair the installation (which amounts to "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" it seems).

The install I'm attempting is ubuntustudio-8.04.1-alternate-i386

btw, I don't have this part of the problem: "...when I push my power button to shut off the computer it beeps, then shows me some errors from Ubuntu which I have no time to read, and then it ejects the CD and shuts off."

I've been looking forward to getting this going for a while and am bummed that I can't get it to work. I have installed Gutsy on 2 other computers with no problems whatsoever...

Could it have anything to do with the nVidia GeForce 8400 GS?

Thanks for your help!

cs_maan
August 9th, 2008, 07:56 AM
cs_maan, I feel like you wrote this thread for me! I am having the same problem installing UbuntuStudio. I can get everything installed, updated, and upgraded but after the UbuntoStudio splash screen loads, all I get is the little "loading" wheel frozen in thought. It doesn't spin, it only has 2 or three little process indicators filled in (didn't get too far) and that's it. I can move it around with the mouse but nothing happens, even if I let it sit 15 minutes.

I also have a 32-bit machine, dual-core, 4GB. Brand new hard drive for the Ubuntu install. I've checked the install disk md5 and used the disk utilities to check disk integrity, as well as to repair the installation (which amounts to "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get upgrade" it seems).

The install I'm attempting is ubuntustudio-8.04.1-alternate-i386

I've been looking forward to getting this going for a while and am bummed that I can't get it to work. I have installed Gutsy on 2 other computers with no problems whatsoever...

Could it have anything to do with the nVidia GeForce 8400 GS?

Thanks for your help!

I don't think it has anything to do with your video card, I have a 7900GT and its way old and had no problems running the other versions of Ubuntu, also the hard drive I'm trying to put it on is brand new as well, it works I just can't see anything I guess?

My pc is cursed or something, I've always had issues running Ubuntu on it, one time I finally got it to work...and I got bored of it, why oh why did I get bored of it.

cs_maan
August 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
I tried installing an older version, and I got the same result, a blank black screen, all I heard was the sound of it going into the desktop, I'm going to try Fedora next, if that works I'll install it then I'll try Ubuntu again, if not then I have no idea what I'm going to do.

andrewck
August 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I tried installing an older version, and I got the same result, a blank black screen, all I heard was the sound of it going into the desktop, I'm going to try Fedora next, if that works I'll install it then I'll try Ubuntu again, if not then I have no idea what I'm going to do.

I pulled out my 7.1 install disk that I had lying around & was thinking about giving it a shot, but now maybe I won't. My screwing-around time is pretty limited these days, so I appreciate that you let me know it didn't work. I was thinking about trying Fedora, too. Please let me know if it works. I really wanted Ubuntu Studio to work...I'm very disappointed. I thought this had been developed to the point where it wasn't so difficult or rife with mysterious problems.

Good luck.
A