PDA

View Full Version : What's this about Canada's unfair copyright laws now?

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Well I was just reading some posts and I found a signature said if you a Canadian demand better copyright laws. I clicked the link and I learned about Bill C-61. WTC?!!!! Is this still around this is stupid. I've been in Canada since the day I was born and this is one of the dumbest things they ever done. Is this still around did Canada remove that law?

If you are a music fan...

...you may already be breaking the law when you buy a CD and copy it onto your iPod or MP3 player. Despite the government's claims that this would be permitted for personal use, other provisions of the law gut this exeption. Many CDs carry copy protection technology. Copying one of those to your MP3 player would carry a penalty of up to $20,000.

Not being able to put the MUSIC YOU PAID for on your mp3 player!!! WTC?!

...you would be forbidden to control the software on your computer. If some of that software implements a digital lock, it would be illegal for you to remove or modify the software. In one case, Sony distributed copy protection software with music CDs. When the CD was opened on a Windows computer, it made changes to Windows that created security holes and violated the privacy of users. Under this law, it would be illegal to tamper with or remove the flawed Sony software.

So you can't tamper/remove the flawed sony protection software?

If you buy a new car...

...you might not be able to take it to the mechanic of your choice. Your car contains a computer that with anti-circumvention laws would not be legally serviceable by anyone but the dealer network. Even oil changes now require computer access on many new cars.

WTC?! HOW CAN THAT BE AGAINST THE LAW?

If you are a student or educator...

...you will find your access to materials is regulated in detail. Dr Laura Murray writes, "You can show, say, clips of films in an online class as you can in a physical classroom — but you have to destroy the whole lecture after the students write the exam." You could also find yourself unable to access or share works for educational purposes. Already, publishers place technical restrictions on works they don't own. For example, your computer could prevent you from copying text from Romeo and Juliet. Technology to circumvent this protection would be illegal even though Shakespeare's plays are in the public domain.

Canada really screwed up!

Here's the site for it:
http://www.faircopy.ca/

Have they removed that law yet?

EDIT:
This law would place Canadian innovation and Canadian culture in a position of dependency relative to the United States.

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 09:43 PM
It becomes illegal to play DVDs on operating systems other than those made by Apple and Microsoft

You've got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What about linux for %*%&^^(*&(*%*&(**&(^*%&^$&^$%%$@%*^ sakes!

Canis familiaris
August 8th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Who makes these crappy laws?

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I don't know. But they exist. there is a facebook group about it with 90,000 members. I just joined. I'm entering there contest to make a video against it.

zmjjmz
August 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Some of that is FUD (even if C-61 is the bane of digital existence in Canada).
You can legally play DVDs in Linux, but you have to use InterVideo's LinDVD. Otherwise it is impossible (legally).

I'm not sure if it's passed yet.
But if it is, I'm glad the border guard didn't check my 4GB when I went into Canada (though that border guard must of been jacked. He didn't even check my passport.) because I have VLC portable on it, and under C-61 that's illegal.

zmjjmz
August 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Who makes these crappy laws?

On June 12, 2008, following intense pressure from the United States, the government of Canada proposed radical changes to copyright law.

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 10:18 PM
On June 12, 2008, following intense pressure from the United States, the government of Canada proposed radical changes to copyright law.

The goverment of Canada is being stupid lately. always trying to be like America. Yeah, next thing you know Canada will be called the United States adn we'll have no border. Disappointing and lame. I can't wait for the elections to get rid of the Goverment and get someone who knows what they are doing.

LaRoza
August 8th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Some of those laws are beyond even what the US does (like on CD's) so everyone don't be blaming the US for Canada's laws!

But if it is, I'm glad the border guard didn't check my 4GB when I went into Canada (though that border guard must of been jacked. He didn't even check my passport.) because I have VLC portable on it, and under C-61 that's illegal.

Very few people try to sneak into Canada.

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Some of those laws are beyond even what the US does (like on CD's) so everyone don't be blaming the US for Canada's laws!

That's true but America was pushing Canada to make better copyright laws.

LaRoza
August 8th, 2008, 10:27 PM
That's true but America was pushing Canada to make better copyright laws.

I doubt it, but I would believe the Corporations would.

starcannon
August 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Look to Sony, they are some of the biggest pushers of the draconian copyright laws out there. They have been know to go so far as to install root kits on their patrons computers.

As far as governments, they all suck, I see nothing but corporations running the planet at this point, real government is a thing of the past.

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Is that law being prepared to be judged before put into use. Or is it already around?

LaRoza
August 8th, 2008, 11:08 PM
As far as governments, they all suck, I see nothing but corporations running the planet at this point, real government is a thing of the past.

There is no world anymore, there's only corporations!

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 11:14 PM
This law will also be a problem for me with linux. I want to help out with open source development. Now the law might affect even contributing to open source.

nerd0795
August 8th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Good news the law hasn't passed yet :)

It better not pass...

If it wasn't for the fact I'm only 14 I would tell the MP near my area NO about Bill C-61

zmjjmz
August 9th, 2008, 04:12 AM
If it wasn't for the fact I'm only 14 I would tell the MP near my area NO about Bill C-61

Tell your parents.

vikramaditya
August 9th, 2008, 05:05 AM
This is just what happens when big money buys more & more influence, whilst ordinary citizens pursue day-to-day survival. The same pendulum has been swinging since the birth of civilisation and it won't stop for anyone.

Canis familiaris
August 9th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Why the hell did they bend under pressure from another country?
This beats me.

azkehmm
August 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Why the hell did they bend under pressure from another country?
This beats me.

Because said country have a history of invading countries that don't do what they think is right :)

lukjad
August 9th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Very few people try to sneak into Canada.
Lots of people try to sneak into Canada! Who wouldn't like to live here? Just the other day the Tooks all snuck across the border to come live in my city.

BlueSkyNIS
August 9th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Because said country have a history of invading countries that don't do what they think is right :)

You said it right!

Cap'n Skyler
August 9th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Good news the law hasn't passed yet :)

It better not pass...

you can be any age to tell the elected officials in your district what you like and dont like.and remind them one day soon you will be VOTING.

Cap'n Skyler
August 9th, 2008, 05:26 PM

uh yeah right.the european way to deal with dicktaters and mass murderers
is to continue to sell them arms and materials and once the pooh hits teh fan,THEN call on the US to save their butts.ALL OF EUROPE DID NOTHING to stop the genocide in bosnia.NOTHING in your own back yard.
so the question begs to be asked,if not us then who? russia?france? how 'bout the swiss?
european eliteism cracks me up.all talk and no action.
executive outcomes stops an insurcency by killers and criminals for a fraction of the cost in money and lives,and of course the UN bans such private armies from doing this sort of thing.
but it is ok to spend(waste) billions of dollars and countless useless UN resolutions to stop the killing.
but the US is EVIL for doing something,and europe is great for passing all kind of pieces of paper that actually mean and do NOTHING.
yay for the EU.
sheesh
ok,i am off the soapbox now.
you may return to your regularly scheduled thread.