PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?

Exsecrabilus
August 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/21/snow-leopard-to-provide-icon-level-previews/

Yeah yeah yeah, July news, I know, old. But I thought it amazing how Finder gets that feature right after Nautilus does.

Kotjze
August 8th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Right after? I thought Nautilus had that feature for a long time! :)

Canis familiaris
August 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Right after? I thought Nautilus had that feature for a long time! :)

For a long long time.

init1
August 8th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Since 2003, if not earlier.

Exsecrabilus
August 9th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I never really noticed that feature until GNOME 2.22 in 8.04.....Lol.

steeleyuk
August 9th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Its because it didn't work half the time until 2.22 fixed it. It was a pleasant surprise anyway to finally hover over a FLAC file and have it play.

Riffer
August 9th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Didn't windows have this too?

zmjjmz
August 9th, 2008, 02:11 PM
"Apple copies Open Source, still does not acknowledge its existence."

This isn't news.

starcannon
August 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
"Apple copies Open Source, still does not acknowledge its existence."

This isn't news.

exactly

belovedmonster
August 9th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Now show me the option in Nautilus where I can scroll through my office documents, full screen if I want, without needing to launch any application.

Wait, whats that, one OS has a feature another one doesn't have. Are you shitting me?

Give me a break. Apple does stuff Linux doesn't and vice versa. I find these sorts of posts really immature.

SunnyRabbiera
August 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Now show me the option in Nautilus where I can scroll through my office documents, full screen if I want, without needing to launch any application.

Wait, whats that, one OS has a feature another one doesn't have. Are you shitting me?

Give me a break. Apple does stuff Linux doesn't and vice versa. I find these sorts of posts really immature.

yes but its the matter that apple is claiming its their "innovation" when we had it first.

zmjjmz
August 9th, 2008, 04:27 PM

I have no problem with Apple putting this feature in, but they could at least acknowledge its existence.
Gloobus, mentioned a few threads below, would allow us the same functionality but at least the developer credits Apple's Quicklook, whereas Apple doesn't even acknowledge our existence.

Erunno
August 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Well, Finder has been regarded by many Apple users as the redheaded stepchild for a long time now. It's pretty much hopeless trying to defend Finder, compared to powerhouses like Konqueror Finder is just pathetic. There's some hope that Finder will be completely rewritten now that Carbon will be probably dropped for Snow Leopard (Snow Leopard is *supposedly* a pure 64-bit OS, Finder is written with Carbon and there will be no 64-Carbon so that does mean it will have to be rewritten with Cocoa).

Well, at least PathFinder exists for Mac OS X, a much more feature-rich alternative to Finder.

zmjjmz
August 9th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Snow Leopard is *supposedly* a pure 64-bit OS, Finder is written with Carbon and there will be no 64-Carbon so that does mean it will have to be rewritten with Cocoa).

So no more G4 compatibility?

Erunno
August 9th, 2008, 06:20 PM
So no more G4 compatibility?

Well, it looks like it at the moment although I'm not aware of any official announcement by Apple. Beside the G4 also first generation Intel MacBooks would also be hit by this decision (which is bad, these MacBooks were released in 2006). It's rumoured that support for the G5 will be dropped as well.

zmjjmz
August 9th, 2008, 07:11 PM
But the G5 was 64-bit...

belovedmonster
August 9th, 2008, 10:30 PM
yes but its the matter that apple is claiming its their "innovation" when we had it first.

WTFFFFFFFF??????????????????????//??????!111

Where in the Apple rumors post about it does it say Apple is boasting they invented it. Give me an effing break. At least trash Apple on the basis of some facts.

Fanboyism is really immature.

Polygon
August 10th, 2008, 04:25 PM
even though nautilus had this feature first, its much better implemented in mac os x according to that article. it even will let you preview movies...