PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition problems

hofa
August 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I have a weird thing going on with my partition size.

So I have a dualboot setup with windows, data, ubuntu and swap partitions (in that order)

A while ago I shrunk my data partition and gave the remaining space to mu Ubuntu partition. It's only just now that I found out that Ubuntu acts like it never happend.

I think I used gparted on a SysRescCd to resize my partitions

This is what ubuntu tells me

hofa@hofalaptop:~$ df -h /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 69G 35G 34G 51% /media/windows
/dev/sda2 62G 20G 42G 32% /media/data
/dev/sda3 11G 4.9G 5.7G 47% /

This is what parted tells me

(parted) print

Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 32.3kB 73.0GB 73.0GB primary ntfs boot (edit: /dev/sda1)
2 73.0GB 139GB 65.7GB primary ntfs (edit: /dev/sda2)
3 139GB 159GB 20.3GB primary ext3 (edit: /dev/sda3)
4 159GB 160GB 1020MB extended lba
5 159GB 160GB 1020MB logical linux-swap

Can anyone tell me how I can get Ubuntu to recognize the new size of my paritions?

Herman
August 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
What to do if your file system doesn't fit your partition (http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p10.htm#What_to_do_if_your_file_system_doesnt)

Boot your Ubuntu Live CD and open a terminal and,

resize2fs -p /dev/sda3Try that and see if it helps. :)

hofa
August 8th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I saw your response, read it and thought to myself: "Allrighty I can fix it!".
I rebooted to a sysresccd and when I got to the prompt I realised that I didn't memorize or wrote down the command

Had to boot up my gf's computer to come back here :-D

But it worked, Thanks!

Herman
August 8th, 2008, 08:40 PM
:) Oh, okay good! Thank you for the feedback.
Sometimes the partition is resized, but the file system which lives inside the partition did not get resized for some reason.
Some software, like the df -h command looks at the file system size, while other software, like Parted, looks at the size of the partition.

In the olden days, (so I am told), people used to use software (command line) for creating and resizing partitions, and then more (command line) software for creating or resizing the file systems inside their partitions. Everyone was used to using commands like mke2fs, e2fsck, resize2fs.
These days we are all soft and spoiled, we expect our hard disk partition editing software to do everything automatically, and normally it does. :)
Something must have gone wrong, but it's fixed now so that's okay.

More commonly this type of thing happens after restoring a file system from a backup with a 'dd' command or from a Partimage backup, it's a good idea to run resize2fs at times like that too.

Regards, Herman :)