PDA

View Full Version : Are university ISPs faster than FiOS?

neoAnderson
August 8th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I am confused.

Everybody is singing praises of FiOS these days... at my university, I just did a speedtest.net test, and it shows a 35,000 kbps download speed. That's 35 Mbps, right? Now Verizon FiOS speeds are only 10 Mbps, 20 Mbps etc etc... how can that be? How can FiOS be slower? Are the university ISP's always faster than residential lines?

Yet stranger is the fact that, I distinctly remember, my Charter cable at my older apartment (part of the rent, ethernet LAN) clocked 40,000 kbps one night. What's going on?

When I looked at Charter's website, it says it's high speed (max) Internet goes up to 16 Mbps (16,000 kbps). Then how on earth did it clock 40,000 that night? I also used to download Linux distros at 3000 KBps (24,000 kbps) there.

Thirdly, I understand that, since the US is so big, it is hard to run cable in rural / wild areas and so the average Internet speed is lower here compared to that in Europe and Japan - which are much smaller and hence much easier to manage. America is huge with a lot of diversity and therfore bringing the national average to the top is next to impossible.

However, I hear that even the fastest Internet connection in America is not as fast as the fastest ones in Europe/ Japan? I don't believe it is true - it doesn't make any sense! America started commercial Internet - it all began here! Is it true that European countries have faster Internet? If yes, what's the reason for this? I come from a place where the Internet was always slow, and to me the Internet in America appeared to be from out of this world - but now I hear it is not the best?

Why, according to Speedtest.net, is the Internet in such remote countries like Romania and Latvia soooo fast?

From what I feel, my conclusions are
(1) University ISPs are for some reason always much faster than what is available for commercial / residential consumption
(2) American Internet connections are amongst the best in the world, it's just that some states are lagging behind because of geographical/ other reasons, and also because the country is so big and the population much more compared to those tiny countries like Japan, and therefore the national average is low
(3) We should take newspaper/ article headlines with a pinch of salt. It is not the first time I feel this way. A headline saying "American Internet behind that of other nations" would make you feel like we are the worst in the world, but when you read the article you realize we are still amongst top 10 out of 200 countries in the world. Stupid newspaper headlines. What are they thinking?
(4) People are often naive and easily misled. Someone at this website (http://www.marketingconference.org/blog/2007/07/18/worlds-fastest-and-americas-slowest-internet-connection/) writes, "The whole of America is put to shame when you consider its fastest connection in Rhode Island strolls in at a very pedestrian 5.01 megabits" - how much more naive can you get? This person does not realize that 5.01 is the AVERAGE and not the fastest. You can get a 50 Mbps download connection from Verizon FiOS any day. And did I mention my university's download speed of 35 Mbps?

Conclusion? Don't ever let negative/ ignorant people spoil your mood or spirits ;)

Thoughts/ remarks?

kajillin
August 8th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Probably cuz there backbone doesnt have 10,000 - 500,000 users on it.

werries
August 8th, 2008, 09:18 AM
The other countries were later adopters in connecting with the internet. america rushed to set up connections, and the backbone of the usa internet connections are very cluttered, and a complete mess.

Other countries had time to plan, and used faster cabling in the first place, which is why a standard cable internet can be like 5 megabits per second while a standard in europe can be like 15 megabits per second

kajillin
August 8th, 2008, 09:20 AM
still considering the original alma net was in the us uve got to wonder why they are behind. Ohh ya 3/4 of thier population are lazy and obese, jk. like werries said they were in a rush to get it out as fast as possible like anything else we get over here. poor plans = poor buildings

clinux
August 8th, 2008, 10:20 AM
America started commercial Internet - it all began here!

Not quite. Internet was first restricted to universities and the military and later on with the invention of the W3 and W3 stantards (which happened at CERN), internet became available to everyone...

intense.ego
August 8th, 2008, 10:22 AM
The other countries were later adopters in connecting with the internet. america rushed to set up connections, and the backbone of the usa internet connections are very cluttered, and a complete mess.

Other countries had time to plan, and used faster cabling in the first place, which is why a standard cable internet can be like 5 megabits per second while a standard in europe can be like 15 megabits per second

Actually I am not so sure of that. In the US, most connections are cable (a more advanced technology) whereas in Europe in general most connections are DSL (i.e. sent through the phone lines - less advanced technology).

shadylookin
August 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
A university probably has several dedicated t3 lines. So if you manage to use your university network during off peak hours it probably will peak higher than a residential line. It only makes sense considering fios will cost you about 50 bucks and your university probably coughs up several thousand a month.

zmjjmz
August 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
FiOS can get very fast if you're willing to pay the price, which is what the university guys ca afford.

Miguel
August 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Just for the record, Europe (including the western part of Russia, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbajan and a tiny part of Kazakhstan plus Istambul) is larger than the US (including Alaska and Hawaii) and has almost twice the amount of population. The European Union is also more populated than the US, but it is half as large as the US.

Back to topic, university networks are bound to be faster. Here in spain all (public) universities are basically interconnected. I have been terribly spoilt by my University's speeds and downloading stuff at home seems glacially slow (300kbytes/s, base ADSL in Spain). I managed to download OpenSUSE's KDE 4.1 live CD at an average 8 Megabytes per second, and I bet no FiOS on earth can beat that.

tubezninja
August 8th, 2008, 03:24 PM
The speed of the university connection can depend on three things:

1. The university's budget for network connectivity.

2. How heavily loaded that network is (students vs bandwidth)

3. Whether the university is part of the Internet2 consortium, and whether you're connecting to other Internet2-connected nodes

You'd be surprised how many colleges and universities have seen a growth in bandwidth usage but have NOT spent accordingly to keep the bandwidth plentiful. Quite a few are bandwidth starved.

Sef
August 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM

In Korea, the basic is 100 mb/s and also cable tv is included.

LittleLORDevil
August 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
My school has 2 pipes of OC192, I love it.