PDA

View Full Version : Sub-notebooks, which one runs Ubuntu best?

inception
August 8th, 2008, 08:00 AM
I'm concidering buying either the MSI Wind, Asus Eee 900 or the Acer Aspire One..

I'd like to know how well Ubuntu runs on the different machines, if anyone could give me their experiences on the subjects.

I heard there's a special ubuntu for the eee (Ubuntu Eee), and that 8.04.01 runs on Aspire One, but with some driver issues, and know nothing about the Wind.

Also, hardware and functinality-wise, which one would be the better choise?

Thanks!
Vegard Guttormsen

nischg
August 20th, 2008, 02:43 AM
Hi:

I got myself a Msi Wind recently. Been really happy with it. Installed Ubuntu right away. Everything worked out of the box except wireless. I had to follow a little guide to compile the drivers but worked great.

I'd strongly advice to get the Wind or other 10" netbook. Personally, less that this size is way to small. The Wind has been surprisingly comfortable for me.
However I'm I should get an LCD screen to attach it to when I'm home.

mordak13
August 20th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Just due to the fact that the EEE PC has been aroung longer, it probably has more of the bugs worked out. A recent review i read in a UK publication (can't remember which one) rated the EEE PC higher than all the others at this point. However, the Acer Aspire One A110 shows promise: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/18/review_acer_aspire_one

RedPandaFox
August 20th, 2008, 02:55 AM
EeePC 1000 -nods-

m00njal
August 20th, 2008, 04:02 AM
The Lenovo s10 came out today also (though it is a pre-order sale). Nice 10" screen, looks very similar to the MSI wind and nearly all same hardware too, however it comes in like 7+ color themes. If you check the front page for Slickdeals.net theres a deal right now to get it for around $350, not bad for a atom-based sub notebook with Lenovo quality.

October 12th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hi:

I got myself a Msi Wind recently. Been really happy with it. Installed Ubuntu right away. Everything worked out of the box except wireless. I had to follow a little guide to compile the drivers but worked great.

I'd strongly advice to get the Wind or other 10" netbook. Personally, less that this size is way to small. The Wind has been surprisingly comfortable for me.
However I'm I should get an LCD screen to attach it to when I'm home.

Plz send link to wireless driver guide!!!

nischg
October 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Plz send link to wireless driver guide!!!

http://wiki.msiwind.net/index.php/Ubuntu_8.04_Hardy_Heron

Prefix100
October 12th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I use the Acer Aspire One 150, I installed Ubuntu Ibex over the network and I'm really happy with it.

I made the fonts really small too, just so I could fit more on screen.

LaRoza
October 12th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Don't forget the Dell 910, which comes with Ubuntu.

billgoldberg
October 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Don't forget the Dell 910, which comes with Ubuntu.

I was just going to mention it.

Since Dell has created them with Ubuntu in mind, they should run Ubuntu without problems.

And since it comes with Ubuntu by default, should something go wrong, you'll get support from Dell.

But I doubt they'll be better than these forums.

LaRoza
October 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM
And since it comes with Ubuntu by default, should something go wrong, you'll get support from Dell.

You get a pre-build system, with customisation, codecs and Dell support. The importance I think is in that order.

But I doubt they'll be better than these forums.
Try, but Ubuntu itself, when it works, requires not so much support. I mean, the only problems would be in fiddling, and I doubt Dell wants to get complex Linux calls, when they are prepared for the average use-what-you-get customer.

nothingspecial
October 12th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Bought an acer aspire one yesterday, ex display, one usb thingy broken for 90. Ubuntu runs smooth as a sausage, compiz n all.