PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Debian-based LiveCD's won't work

naruttebayo
August 8th, 2008, 02:49 AM
One of my favorite things about linux is that you can experiment with new operating systems every couple of weeks. So gOS looked pretty good and I baked a CD to install it. However when I load it up it hangs at "ISOLINUX (c) etc. etc. LOADING..." and then stopped. Rewriting new disks at different speeds did not help. So then I used the Ubuntu live CD that I had originally used to install Ubuntu on my computer and tried it out. It would boot the ubuntu logo and menu but would hang after I selected "Boot Live CD". So I tried a Linux Mint Live CD. Same thing. Then I tried SliTaz and Puppy Linux and they both worked fine. So it doesn't seem like it could be the CD writer since there are some liveCD's that work. But all the operating systems that didn't work were Debian/Ubuntu based. Now if I was installing Ubuntu I could just use the alternate CD but because I'm installing gOS that is not an option.

I've also heard that gOS released a .deb that changes your ubuntu to gOS (since gOS is just Ubuntu with a makeover and the Enlightenment window manager). But it seems that with gOS's new 3.0 release they no longer have this .deb.

dileepm
August 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Check out for your hardware specifications;not all linux OS' need demand same hardware requirements...

naruttebayo
August 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
But see, I've managed to install Ubuntu and Linux Mint before using the same CD's that I mentioned in the previous post and they've just now stopped working. So I'm wondering why it used to work but doesn't anymore. I used a different wording in my original post...that's fixed now.

naruttebayo
August 9th, 2008, 03:33 AM
No ideas why my computer suddenly refuses to boot certain LiveCD's?