PDA

View Full Version : Canadian guys: stuff to do in Montreal?

lordadi
August 8th, 2008, 02:28 AM
Hi,

I will be visiting montreal in a while and am wondering, whats to do?? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Lordadi.

RiceMonster
August 8th, 2008, 02:33 AM
If you're 18, drink :p.

Seriously though, I went with my family years ago. If you're into sight seeing, you could hike up mount royal or whatever. If you're looking for more "fun" stuff, I wouldn't know because I was about 12 when I went there, I think.

Biochem
August 8th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Depends on what you like, how long will you be there, and how mobile you're going to be!

On a general notes:

Hiking Mont-Royal is good.
It's called the city of the 1000 churches for a reason, so if you are in that kind of arts or architecture.
The Botanical garden is one of my favorites places.
St-Laurent and St-Denis for Restaurants
I'm not into clubing but if you are there's plenty (as long as you are >=18)
If you want good ale homemade try "Le Dieu du Ciel" or "les 3 Brasseurs"

You just missed the big festivals season (International de Jazz, Just for Laugth and Francofolie) there is some cinema festivals coming though. And I think there may be some Fireworks competition left but I'm not sure.

And bring a rain coat, this summer weather SU*** big time.

lordadi
August 8th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'm 16, can't club and will be there with family so family oriented attractions are what I'm interested in.

Cheers,

Lordadi.

perce
August 8th, 2008, 12:59 PM
The rapids on the Saint Laurent are beautiful. Take the green line up to the last stop on the west (Angrignon, I think) and there is a bus from there.

I also liked to have a chocolate at Juliette et chocolat somewhere on St-Denis south of Sherbrook on the left. It's good but not very cheap.

Biochem
August 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Well

There is the science center (science museum for the geek in you) in the old port.
I haven't been in the biodome (a trip in different ecosystem with real plants and animales) or insectarium (Insect museum) in ages. When I was a kid I loved it.

There is also an historic hous near the Charlevois metro station but I don't remember the name.

Brunellus
August 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I was in Montreal when I was 17; I must have lucked out the day I was there, because the weather was BEAUTIFUL (as were the people, ahem.) I could have hung out on Vieux Port just watching the world go by for a while.

lordadi
August 8th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks again. Anyone know hiking other than Mont Royal?

Cheers,

Lordadi.

Biochem
August 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM
There is a very nice national park in Oka, beautiful beach too and good camping ground.

To be honest, my favorites hicking places or a little farther than Montreal (from 1 to 4 hours drive). But If you plan to travel around Quebec Provinces... (I'm From Quebec city so I know a bit more about the trail in that area)

Beside Quebec city is celebrating it's 400 anniversary so you might want to look at that since they have a lot of familly oriented activity this year.

@ Brunellus
This year is exceptionally ******. A lot of places in Quebec broke snow accumulation record last winter (more than 4m in Quebec city) and we are breaking rain accumulation. To think they were predictiong a dry summer....:( Hopefully August will be better.

lordadi
August 8th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks.

jgrabham
August 8th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Damn you - I want to go there (although not in the summer - I'm sure my avatar explains all ;) )

lordadi
August 8th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Damn you - I want to go there (although not in the summer - I'm sure my avatar explains all ;) )

:lolflag: Unfortunately no I'm not a hockey fan.

lordadi
August 8th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Guys, couple of questions:

1) Is there a subway system?
2) Cars are naturally better, but how accessible are attractions like Mont Royal etc via public transport?

Lordadi.

Biochem
August 8th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Guys, couple of questions:

1) Is there a subway system?
2) Cars are naturally better, but how accessible are attractions like Mont Royal etc via public transport?
Lordadi.

The whole public transport in Montreal (subway and buses) are pretty good, compared to what I saw elsewhere. Might not compare to larger cities but again...

Everything I mentioned is easily accessible by public transportation except maybe Oka.

Here is the link to the public transport http://www.stm.info/ You will find fare, schedule and itinerary. I strongly recommand there trip planer. You give the starting poing, destination and time of arrival or departure and it plan the best route and a couple of alternate one.

az
August 9th, 2008, 01:21 AM
If your family likes to shop, there is the underground city. You can literally got to the east part of downtown (Place des Arts), go underground and cross downtown underground while shopping. You can come out on the west side of downtown (Atwater metro station).

As for the mountain, you should experience the Tam Tam jam which usually happens on Sunday mornings in the summer. The last time I went (20 years ago or so) there were about a thousand people there.

And don't forget the restaurants. What kinds of food do you like?

lordadi
August 9th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I'm Indian, so I prefer Indian food, but I've got that down pat. After all food IS the most important, right? ;)

marcusesses
August 9th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Hey,

I can't guide you to any specific locations, but I can tell you how I went about it when I was there.

Depends on how structured you want to be about your touristing, but when I was there, my friends and I just walked around Old Montreal (I'm not certain about the streets), and made our way back downtown.

In the summer, all the tourist stores/restaurants open, but if you walk a couple blocks over from that, you can find some quiet sights that are probably overlooked. If you walked around for long enough I'm sure you'd find SOMETHING interesting to see or do (Plus you can see all the churches..you don't really understand what all the fuss is about until you see them...)

sanderella
August 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
You can skate. Ice in the winter, rollers in the summer.:KS

Vakman
August 9th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I believe there is a theme park there called LaRonde. A quick google search brings http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=2570 and that theme park is listed there along with a fair bit of other things to do/visit. Have fun and I hope that helps :)

Biochem
August 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM
I believe there is a theme park there called LaRonde. A quick google search brings http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm?thread=2570 and that theme park is listed there along with a fair bit of other things to do/visit. Have fun and I hope that helps :)

Damn, I could I forget Laronde. I mentionned the fireworks competition there but not the amusement park (http://www.laronde.com/larondefr/) shame one me.

I'm not gonna respond to the insulting post by Macintosh Sauce, but remember that Quebec is a French province. So outside tourist district and attractions everything is in French and your are bound to meet some people who's level of English won't go beyond the "yes/no/toaster" level.

lordadi
August 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks. LaRonde looks interesting.

lukjad
August 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM
On think that is not widely know is that the Botanical Gardens are free if you get there before 9 AM. Also the Biodome is nice is you feel like going from the desert to the arctic in five minutes. Also, are plenty of parks and around where I live there is a path along the river that is very beautiful.

lukjad
August 9th, 2008, 03:44 PM
NO. Not LaRonde! That place has become highly overpriced these days. If you by a regular season pass, no dicounts, you have to pay an extra $25 for some of the rides. I think the same thing happens for the daily passes.

redpotatoes
August 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Le Biodome is also a place you might want to check out, while you are there you could go in the Olympic Stadium tower.

http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/biodome/site/site.php?langue=en
http://www.rio.gouv.qc.ca/pub/visiter/accueil.jsp

trash
August 9th, 2008, 05:57 PM
You don't have to be gay to enjoy the colorful parade and festivities on Pride day... shame on me for not knowing for sure but i think it's August 29 ish. Can anybody confirm?

lordadi
August 10th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Didnt know that about LaRonde. Myabe give it a miss, but do you have to pay to get to watch the fireworks?

lordadi
August 10th, 2008, 12:34 AM
On think that is not widely know is that the Botanical Gardens are free if you get there before 9 AM.

Interesting! Any reason why?

lordadi
August 10th, 2008, 12:38 AM

Thanks for this link.

~LoKe
August 10th, 2008, 03:22 AM
The **** n Bull is a pretty small but decent bar to go to. Madhatters is an awesome place, it used to be a college frat house.

Biochem
August 10th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Didnt know that about LaRonde. Myabe give it a miss, but do you have to pay to get to watch the fireworks?

If you want to be on sites yes you have and you pay an extra on fireworks night.

But the beauty of fireworks is that you don't have to be on site. The nearby bridge is closed and for people to watch and the music is broadcasted on the radio (I don't remember which station). But please don't tell anyone it's proprietary information ;)

As for the price of the amusement park, well do you know one that is not an overpriced rip-off.

Biochem
August 10th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Forget about the fireworks the last ones were on August 6 so unless you can travel back in time... :(

lordadi
August 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks.

lukjad
August 11th, 2008, 06:18 PM
As for the Botanical Gardens, there is one catch. You cannot go into a little building and see a bunch of dead bugs. If that strikes your fancy, then you must pay. I think why they do this is so it kind of feels like a park and so that early people get a bonus. Also, if you leave the park to go eat somewhere, you need to pay to get back in.

lordadi
August 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks lukjad007

Biochem
August 12th, 2008, 02:28 AM
But you can buy entrance to the botanical garden and the biodome and the insectarium at a discount price.There are family price to.

Beside I'got a season pass to the botanical garden and it cost's me less than 30$ for an adult without any kind of discount so it's not very expansive.

Just bring your lunch, there is no restaurant in the are and on site fast food are unfordable to say the least.

lukjad
August 12th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Good point. However, if he can get in for free for a few hours, it would still be a nice little trip.

lordadi
August 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
What about cheap gas? Montreal is +10 cents!! :(

Thanks anyway.

lukjad
August 13th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The public transit system is cheaper than gas and sells weekly and monthly passes. It is also fairly complete and is interesting in and of itself.

lordadi
August 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Thnks Biochem and lukjad007. Had a blast in montreal. My only regret is that I was not able to see the old city @ night :(

lukjad
August 18th, 2008, 12:50 AM
You were here? o.0
Wow.
Now, why haven't you changed your avatar to a "I Love Montreal" or "I Love the Habs" one? That's in the contract you signed.

lordadi
August 18th, 2008, 02:17 AM
:lolflag: