PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] kde for ubuntu how do you do?

carrarin
August 7th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I have ubuntu 8.04 hardy on my comp, and i hate gnome. And i don't i just dont mean the short people with hairy feet. I want to get rid of gnome and use kde. how do i do this?

I dont have the internet, so if you could tell me what packs i need to dload that would be great.

Adlain
August 7th, 2008, 10:37 PM
The KDE-core Package is the one to get, it should be available Via Synaptic..... i think (i use Kububtu off the Kubuntu CD)

Tanker Bob
August 7th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The easiest thing to do is download and burn the Kubuntu CD, then install it over your Ubuntu. Be sure to backup your data and verify it before doing this, unless you have your /home directory is on a separate partition or drive.

If you install the KDE desktop in your Ubuntu, you'll still have all the Gnome stuff on your disk and in your menus.

tuxxy
August 7th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Why not install KDE from the repos see if you like it, if you do just delete gnome desktop and be left with kubuntu, I would test KDE first as I find it horrible, good luck

fkrahe
August 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Guys

That's quite what I'm looking forward.

I want a "comeBackable" way of testing KDE on my Ubuntu Hardy.

No special reasons, I'm just bored.

Is it safe to come back to gnome? Will it be the complete environment?

:-k

Cheers!

Circus-Killer
August 12th, 2008, 11:36 AM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

SunnyRabbiera
August 12th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Guys

That's quite what I'm looking forward.

I want a "comeBackable" way of testing KDE on my Ubuntu Hardy.

No special reasons, I'm just bored.

Is it safe to come back to gnome? Will it bee the complete environment?

:-k

Cheers!

Using both will not do a thing to your system, just give you more options to play with... though admittedly it will take up more room but if you have the space then go ahead and install the kde core packages

fkrahe
August 12th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Jesus guys, you're fast!

Thank you!

Allwright, I got the command

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Will it automatically boot into KDE, then? And how do I return using GNOME if I get scared?

Thanks again!

rizitis
August 12th, 2008, 11:54 AM
when you start your pc at the log in screen before you give name and pass at the menu sessions you will chose Gnome or KDE every time .

fkrahe
August 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks to "Circus-Killer" and "rizitis" and "SunnyRabbiera" for the help.

I sudoed your apt-get and everything went smooth, and now I can choose my desktop while logging in. Perfect.

The only remaining issue is the same I had after installing my ubuntu studio theme: the loading screen, before login prompt, is changed. First it was ubuntu studio's loading screen, now is KDE's...

How can I set back the ubuntu's loading screen (so I can remember which system I got in the beginning)?

As b4: cheers!

--------------------------------------------------------------
WELL.. SORRY!
I got carried away and forgot to do a new search in the forum...
I'll try this one
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=879103&highlight=loading+screen
before bothering you again!
:)

--------------------------------------------------------------
[SOLVED]
:) :) :)