ARhere
August 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
The Studio looks pretty sweet!

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

NOTE TO ADMINS: delete me if a dupe.

-AR

teet
August 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
About time they updated their ubuntu offerings.

-teet

Edit: No option for nvidia graphics, no option for "N" wireless card, no "antiglare" screen...sigh

LookTJ
August 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
sweet indeed, yet they still don't offer the newest hardware:(

Superkoop
August 7th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Alright! This page really looks nice now! :D

But, I would still much prefer it if they would just offer to have ubuntu pre-installed on all of their computers, so that when you select your OS, you can just pick out ubuntu, instead of Vista. (In a rescent survery they sent me, I commented that, that would be really awesome)

But still it's nice to see the Ubuntu page looking a bit more nice! :D

matthew
August 7th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Wow! I just looked at that page yesterday and those weren't there. Cool.

jeyaganesh
August 7th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Are you satisfied with the quality of the Dell computers?

matthew
August 7th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I don't have one, but the reviews I have seen have been positive, and I know many of our Ubuntu community members (developers, etc) are using them. I'm just happy to see more and more options for buying computers with Ubuntu preinstalled.

jeyaganesh
August 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
I too have Dell desktop with 19" monitor. But it is not glossy. I feel glossy monitors are good for seeing photos.

ARhere
August 7th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Are you satisfied with the quality of the Dell computers?

I really like the studio with the trayless(sp?) CD-ROM drive.

Edit: No option for nvidia graphics, no option for "N" wireless card, no "antiglare" screen...sigh

BAH... XPS has the NVidia and both studio and XPS have the antiglare option. No N though...
EDIT: Studio is glossy only...

-AR

bimmerd00d
August 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
purdy lookin little computers there. I personally like my Latitude D820, if you take a gander over at http://outlet.dell.com you can pickup a nicely loaded up D830 for $1k out the door, and the D430, D630, and D830 come with a 3yr NBD warranty by default.

Sealbhach
August 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
I hope they're selling well. This is a real chance for the Linux community to make a direct impact on the market.

Diggs808
August 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Did anyone else see this?

Looks like an oops on the part of the Dell website team.....

I saw this as soon as I clicked to look at the details for the Studio...

kevin11951
August 7th, 2008, 11:10 PM

I saw this as soon as I clicked to look at the details for the Studio...

believe me, that wasn't a mistake.

Sealbhach
August 7th, 2008, 11:48 PM

That's just a standard strapline you see everywhere you see the Dell logo. I don't think there was any thought put into it.

ARhere
August 8th, 2008, 04:52 AM

Microsoft pays them to do that, or they get a discount on some of their licences. I had a DELL rep admit that they get Vista for free on some models.

-AR

MaxIBoy
August 8th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I still think they should be offering dual-boots and putting the option to install ubuntu on the customization form for ALL their products.

This change is like buying more RAM for your 486; you'd be better off throwing it out and getting a real setup.

zmjjmz
August 8th, 2008, 05:30 AM
They just really jacked up the prices on those XPS's
I was considering getting one when my MacBook gave, but by then that "instant savings" shiite will be done.
EDIT: Holy guacamole. I hope I can downgrade it or something when I need to buy it, because I will never need 4GB RAM and a 320GB HDD (will rescind in a few years).
EDIT2: Does the fingerprint scanner... _work_?

Lexicon101
August 8th, 2008, 05:45 AM
haha. The desktop's actually the least expensive of them.
(I guarantee my desktop is more expensive than any laptop should ever be. (of course, I think laptops were envisioned as netbooks at first, then started turning into portable desktops, so now it has to be as powerful as a normal computer.. it just seems ironic. to me.))

cacycleworks
August 8th, 2008, 05:55 AM
As a Dell user and buyer, I always recommend to join the "small business" mailing list. They have occasional sales that are simply amazing. I advocate to the already-addicted-to-linux buyers to get whatever computer they fancy (with windows on it) and then install linux. :)

But, yes, it is great to see Dell stepping up with ubuntu. Yes, they're going to limit the hardware offerings so they can handle the tech support.

+1 to above... my D630 is an amazing laptop. Mine is a lot of computer for $1100.

:) Chris

MaxIBoy
August 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM
Funny thing is, they don't call 'em laptops anymore. They call 'em notebooks. That's because you're not supposed to put one on your lap. Those little pads on the bottom have to suspend it a certain distance off the table for the cooling fan to work. See, they had to make it so thin that ventilation suffered, now cooling becomes a real problem. I wouldn't mind if they were thick enough to mount a pair of 25 mm fans on the SIDE of the thing. It would run cooler, thus improving battery life and allowing it to have better hardware.

hardyn
August 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM
"ubuntu, it keeps getting better"?!?! marketing guys missed on that one i think. kinda implies that its not currently up to snuff.

cacycleworks
August 8th, 2008, 06:01 AM
Heh, try to configure one and the fingerprint reader isn't shown as an option. And in the system summary: "NO FINGER PRINT READER"

Wow, that and the XPS are awesome computers...

:) Chris

Methuselah
August 8th, 2008, 09:16 AM
If they're adding more models it means they're selling to some extent.

Lexicon101
August 8th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I just wanna call them Frisbees. The normal ones don't have the right weight to 'em. Only problem is, they break, and you can only throw em a few times...

Miguel
August 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I personally find buying a Dell with Ubuntu a scam. Well, it's not a scam if you want the most basic configuration, which is what you see there, but it turns into a scam as soon as you put a midline configuration.

Here in Spain, buying the absolute lowest config for the m1330 with Ubuntu is around 60€ cheaper than with Windows. However, the Windows machines have additional configurations. If you configure the ubuntu machine to have the exact same specs as the middle-of-the-line m1330, you can find absurd situations like having to pay 200€ more just to have Ubuntu. Yes, buying Ubuntu in that machine is actually 200€ more expensive than Windows Vista Whatever edition. I have a colleague that bought an m1330 last month and by downgrading to Vista he got a free gig of ram and double HD space. This is plain silly. I don't know what is the status with thnkpads, but be sure I'll find out.

Now that I'm bitching, I'll also say that buying HP laptops in Spain is a scam too, or at least it is for 6910p models. Let's suppose 1€=1$ (it's more like 2€=3$). Well, in this case, they charge quite a lot more here in europe than they do in the US. And this is before taxes (16% for luxury products in Spain). And then you realise that you're actually paying an additional 50% more due to currency exchange. Oh, come on!

EDIT: Mmm... HP is slightly backing off their struggle on the spanish market. In case you want to compare, here you have the prices for the US:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-321838-89315-3357377.html
And here are the prices for Spain:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/es/es/sm/WF25a/321957-321957-64295-89315-89315-3357377.html

ARhere
August 8th, 2008, 03:03 PM
...However, the Windows machines have additional configurations. If you configure the ubuntu machine to have the exact same specs as the middle-of-the-line m1330, you can find absurd situations like having to pay 200€ more just to have Ubuntu...

I don't know much about DELL business in Spain, but DELL has received a LOT of flack about that in the ideastorm.com website. They respond every time saying, "it was a mistake and it is corrected now". When I configure two machines side-by-side, the Ubuntu machine is always $50 cheaper, unless there is a special "discount" for the Vista machine.

Anyways, how this gets better will never change; with your dollar/ero/pasetas. If you buy a DELL Ubuntu machine, that is more incentive for DELL to offer more. They are a business that wants to make money, it is as simple as that.

-AR

EDIT: I admit I have only compared a few machines and have not done an extensive search, but they do respond fast when you point out a pricing error.

DeadSuperHero
August 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I like how the new Dell Studios look. I'm currently thinking of saving up for one. If anyone here can recommend it, I think I'll definitely go for it!

Flyingjester
August 8th, 2008, 05:14 PM
when i find myself wanting a new compy, definitely going with one of those bad boys.

jgrabham
August 8th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Niiccceeee, still probabally more expensive than the Vostros though XD

ahaslam
August 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM
The Studio looks pretty sweet!

-AR

Yup, it don't look bad. Not available in UK tho :( http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/gen/client/en/ubuntu_landing?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Common Dell, you charge us slightly more & offer us less...

PS, I'm holding out for an E-slim ;)

ARhere
August 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
WTF

The new studio and XPS 1530 are gone now. I cleared my browser data, but nothing. What gives? I was honestly ready to buy the Studio 15 as soon as I get my next paycheck.

-AR

SunnyRabbiera
August 10th, 2008, 07:47 PM
My next computer might be a inspiron as I really like that price.

ARhere
August 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM
UPDATE

I called a DELL rep, and he said they had to pull custom configuration PC's because of a shortage due to back-to-school.

I love how Linux is just an custom oddity to DELL. They must see it as not a real operating system or some other stupid opinion like that.

-AR

hardyn
August 11th, 2008, 05:01 AM
when you look at volume. linux is an oddity by far... less than 5% user base.

Lexicon101
August 11th, 2008, 05:08 AM
A place like Dell isn't a place Linux users are likely to shop, the way I see it. You can get more building your own system, and tuxheads, from my experiences, are into getting what you want, not what someone else built for you. You always get more of what you want when you make something yourself.
Dell = pre-made computers.
Windows = pre-made OS.

Therefore, it seems likely to me that Dell user base = lower percentage of linux than main user base. And Dell user base is probably way smaller than the total market. So Dell-buying linux geeks = a very small populous.

hackmeister
August 11th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I ordered a Dell XPS M1330 last week and can't wait to get it. Just a warning that affects all laptops (not just Dell), there is a problem with Nvidia 8400M & 8600M chipsets:
http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2008/07/25/nvidia-gpu-update-for-dell-laptop-owners.aspx

Originally I was going to get an Nvida video card but canceled my order and redid it with Intel X3100 video card. I'm not a huge gamer and the 3100 CAN do compiz. You can get some good coupon codes for Dell's from here that do work with the Linux configurations:
http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp

Methuselah
August 11th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Strangely enough, I never thought of building a laptop even though I've done so for desktops.
Someone's comment in this thread made me think about it.

Pogeymanz
August 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I bought an Ubuntu Inspiron. Good bang for the buck, but I had less options than the Windows equivalent. Still, when you go with the minimum equipment, it's cheaper.

Bart_D
August 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Well, the other option is to just go with the Windows equivalent and dual boot it yourself....that way you'll get more than the minimum equipment, no?

hardyn
August 11th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Strangely enough, I never thought of building a laptop even though I've done so for desktops.
Someone's comment in this thread made me think about it.

I have done it... the machine from which i am currently posting. I would probably not do it again based on warranty/service issues that i was faced with, PM if you would like all the gory details.

Stan_1936
August 11th, 2008, 04:53 PM
A place like Dell isn't a place Linux users are likely to shop, the way I see it. You can get more building your own system, and tuxheads, from my experiences, are into getting what you want, not what someone else built for you........

Actually, if you custom build your system would you not want the latest tech? I mean you could certainly find the components at a cheap(er) price and all, but I'd tend to feel that you'd certainly want higher end stuff.

From what I've heard from people pusing Linux, they start out with "Do you use an old computer as door stop, because it is so slow?" This would presumably be an already existing, although outdated(in terms of hardware and software), system.

lukjad007
August 11th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I try to get an answer for a question about the DVD playback that comes standard in Ubuntu that they are selling. If I do a fresh install to get to 8.04 do I still get to have the playback feature for encrypted DVDs. I click the "Chat with an Agent" button link and asked him. He didn't know so he sent me to tech support. They didn't know. They sent me to what I imagine is called Super Tech Support. After spending a long time listening to some computer generated voice talking in happy tone about how to rescue a computer from viruses et al. I was finally put through. The Super Tech Support Agent put me on hold. I wait for ten minutes and am then disconnected. I call back, wait again with the cheery voice blaring in my ear and finally get through. Another long hold then a quick answer, more holding.

Stay tuned. :-/

lukjad007
August 11th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Final answer after 4 hours. Use Totem. Get the codex.

GAAHHH!!! ](*,)](*,)

ARhere
August 16th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Final answer after 4 hours. Use Totem. Get the codex.

GAAHHH!!! ](*,)](*,)

I actually did the research on this one and recieved two answers.

Either you get a recovery CD that has an image of the HDD with Ubuntu and the applications preloaded, OR you get a separate CD with the DVD playback.

One tech told me the first, two told me the second.

If anyone actually knows, or has bought a Ubuntu DELL product, please confirm this.

-AR

lukjad007
August 16th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks. I don't think that I want to get a Dell PC if I have to pay extra for "help" that isn't helpful at all.

phaed
August 16th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I just bought an Ubuntu Inspiron with the minimum configuration. Good enough for an Internet / coding terminal.

Should have it in a week.

ARhere
August 17th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I just bought an Ubuntu Inspiron with the minimum configuration. Good enough for an Internet / coding terminal.

Should have it in a week.

w00t. Please inform about the DVD program. Is it a separate CD/package, or installed on a recovery-CD image?

-AR

phaed
August 20th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Ok, my Inspiron 1530N came today. I have it up and running now. It required 961 updates. That's fine.

Here are the noticeable differences:

1) It had a link on the desktop to "Create Back-Up DVD" or something like that. I removed the icon, but I can tell you later what the back up program was, because I pasted the command into a text file just in case (but I'm at work right now and can't check).

2) It has a Dell-specific PPA in the sources.list.

3) It has LinDVD installed, which I didn't get a chance to play with yet.

As for how many of the codecs were installed, I'm not sure, since I just did a "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" as soon as it was done with the initial updates (but I did see it downloading a bunch of gstreamer stuff). I should have checked.

Also, the only "extra CD" is the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS DVD.