PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] how to mount reclaimed partitions on startup?

grikdog
August 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I had Vista and Ubuntu in separate partitions, booting via Grub. Vista choked, croaked and rotted, so I salvaged the Vista ntfs partition and for some reason, subdivided that into two ext3 partitions (I forget the history, it made sense at the time).

The problem is, I can manually mount those partitions, but I would rather do it on startup. I understand I should edit fstab, but... That file is intense, wherein partitions masquerade as UUID numbers that I have no idea where they came from.

How should I set up fstab to mount my salvaged /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda4 partitions? How do I know what UUID numbers to use?

grikdog
August 7th, 2008, 06:57 PM
never mind - I found a discussion of vol_id elsewhere on the web, so figured out how to get UUID for partitions...

GreenN00b
August 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM
You can also use the /dev/<partition> in fstab without problems ...

grikdog
August 7th, 2008, 11:23 PM
You can also use the /dev/<partition> in fstab without problems ...
Thanks, I'm using the UUID form, because the discussion I found has a pretty good rationale for using it (basically, it disambiguates hardware if you shuffle it during a move to another site, etc.)

It's nice to know that Ubuntu is sane under all the layers ;-)

jpaulb
August 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM
never mind - I found a discussion of vol_id elsewhere on the web, so figured out how to get UUID for partitions...

Please tell where.

grikdog
August 13th, 2008, 03:06 AM
Please tell where.
Try Google. That's how I found:

http://coreythompson.com/2008/01/etcfstab-help-for-distro-hoppers/

Might help.
d