PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] remote term from XP

speed32219
August 7th, 2008, 05:13 PM
OK, I upgraded to hardy 8.04. I am using Ubuntu as a Video server for my Xbmc network. I got tired of carring my monitor back to the ubuntu server so I tried to install SSH with Xterm I think. I then downloaded two programs for XP (Pudgy and one other program) to get a login screen from hardy through the network so I could add modules, add HD, mounts, etc. from my XP machine.

I was having problems in that I could not get work so I decided to remove SSH and Xterm from hardy. I carried the monitor back into the room and when I booted hardy instead of the typical Ubuntu login screen I just get an X for a cursor. I see for a short time the Ubuntu backsplash but then it goes in Xterm (I think) and I can't get in to make the changes.

Is there a hot key sequence when booting or once the machine is up to get into Ubuntu?

I thought I could just go back in and remove if it didn't work or I didn't like it. Seems I may have been wrong and I may need to do a re-install. I tried booting from the 8.04 dvd i created, but it has a scratch on it and 10% into booting from dvd it stops and gives me a reading disk error.

timcredible
August 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM
make life easy and use XDM to access your linux machine. XDM is what you use when you login in locally, so it'll be the exact same remotely. click on my link in my signature for a how-to.

speed32219
August 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
make life easy and use XDM to access your linux machine. XDM is what you use when you login in locally, so it'll be the exact same remotely. click on my link in my signature for a how-to.

Thank you timcredible, I am going to try that tonight when I get off of work.