PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop settings completely disappeared

RussianPhysicsGuy
August 7th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Hi all,

I've got compiz-fusion running on Ubuntu Hardy Heron. Or rather, had running. I brought my computer up from standby this morning, and it completely froze with none of the input devices working, so I forced a shutdown with the power button. I started again in Ubuntu, and when I logged on, all of the desktop settings were gone. No compiz, no launchers, no backgrounds, no workspaces. Everything basically went back to the defaults that are set during Ubuntu installation - even, for example, the System Beep turned itself back on, though I had turned it off.

Moreover, if I try to start Compiz-fusion again, it won't work properly. I can't switch workspaces, I can't get any of the effects, I can't even get windows to focus properly (nothing shows up as getting selected, can't scroll, can't click non-radio buttons, but if I select something and hit ctrl+c, and then paste into gedit, it gets pasted - but it never gets shown as being selected in the original window. If I bring a windows into focus, it'll go on top, but it remains gray, doesn't actually become focused).

I would very much like to get my old settings back, or at least get Compiz working again - does anyone have any advice or help? I don't even know where to begin looking...

Thanks,
-George