PDA

View Full Version : What OS would you recommend for the Eee PC 701?

wersdaluv
August 7th, 2008, 02:30 PM
A lot of OSs were created for netbooks since the Eee PC was released. I know that there's Eeexubuntu and Ubuntu Eee. I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on my cousin's Eee PC 701 but I find it really slow. I also installed Ubuntu Netbook Remix on top of it.

What OS would you recommend for the Eee PC 701?

Lostincyberspace
August 7th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I really think since there are so few variations to the computer they should use LFS to create a special one just for it that includes emerge to install programs from source.

Really fast and very lean.

bytor4232
August 7th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I would go with Xubuntu or EeeXubuntu. Both are lightweight and would work out much better than Ubuntu.

Yannick Le Saint kyncani
August 7th, 2008, 02:45 PM
I have installed Ubuntu Hardy on my cousin's Eee PC 701 but I find it really slow.

I have gutsy on a 701 with kde and 1G ram and it's all good.

RedPandaFox
August 7th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Pupeee I haven't tried but its meant to be ok. EeePCLinuxOS is really good,, thats what I use. But im on my 2gb eeepc surf atm with EeeXPLite (which I am typing on)

damn66
August 7th, 2008, 02:51 PM
try BackTrack 3..

billgoldberg
August 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Fluxbuntu.

Chame_Wizard
August 7th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Kubuntu :shock:\\:D/

MJae
May 28th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Will Easy Peasy work on this on the 701?

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Has anyone tried Slitaz on the eee? I imagine that would be a really good fit. It's pretty-looking and a great deal smaller than anything else out there.

binbash
May 28th, 2009, 10:45 AM
If you just surf, moblin2 is fast and eye candy.

snowpine
May 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Has anyone tried Slitaz on the eee? I imagine that would be a really good fit. It's pretty-looking and a great deal smaller than anything else out there.

SliTaz is awesome on the eee.

http://forum.slitaz.org/viewtopic.php?id=1686

monsterstack
May 28th, 2009, 02:34 PM
SliTaz is awesome on the eee.

http://forum.slitaz.org/viewtopic.php?id=1686

I feel as if I want to get an Eee just knowing that, now. Slitaz brought my ancient laptop back to life. 512mb of Ram and a 1300mhz processor, yet the thing whizzes along a magnitude of times faster than my colleague's 2gb+ dual-core Vista laptops. Start-up times for most of the applications is almost non-existent. Man, I can't sing this distro's praises enough.

Seriously, folks, if you think Fluxbuntu or Crunchbang are fast, you haven't seen anything.

snowpine
May 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Yup, I have SliTaz installed on my desktop, my old laptop, and both my netbooks. It is very bare-bones when you first install it, but once you start adding from the repositories, you can build it up however you like (and then use tazlito to make your own flavor!)

New users might find setting up SliTaz for the first time can be a little tricky. It doesn't have quite so many hardware drivers and gui config tools (though 2.0 is miles ahead of 1.0) compared with something like Ubuntu.

kgarbutt
May 28th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm running Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 along with eee-control on my 701. I really like it.

burvowski
May 28th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I am running UNR 9.04 (switched to the normal desktop layout) on my eee. With 2 gigs, it runs fine, though I am toying with the idea of switching to Crunchbang/Cruncheee

aysiu
May 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I had an Eee PC 701 for a year, and I tried all sorts of stuff on it (Xandros, Easy Peasy, Puppeee, Mandriva), and the best thing I found to run on it was still just vanilla Ubuntu.

drawkcab
May 28th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I am running UNR 9.04 (switched to the normal desktop layout) on my eee. With 2 gigs, it runs fine, though I am toying with the idea of switching to Crunchbang/Cruncheee

Cruncheee would run really well on that machine.

dspari1
May 28th, 2009, 06:51 PM
You should try the new Moblin beta.

snowpine
May 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
You should try the new Moblin beta.

Only if the 701 has an Atom processor, which it does not.

Cruncheee is the bee's knees.

burvowski
May 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Crunchee and Crunchbang look great I'm just confused on which to install. I know they all work, but should I go with Crunchbang 8.10, Crunchee, or install one of the unnofficial 9.04 updates? Should I wait for the official 9.04 variants to come out?

If I went and installed Crunchee 8.10 right now, would upgrading to 9.04 be as straightfoward as updating Ubuntu is?

aysiu
May 28th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Crunchee and Crunchbang look great I'm just confused on which to install. I know they all work, but should I go with Crunchbang 8.10, Crunchee, or install one of the unnofficial 9.04 updates? Should I wait for the official 9.04 variants to come out?

If I went and installed Crunchee 8.10 right now, would upgrading to 9.04 be as straightfoward as updating Ubuntu is?
Go with Cruncheee, as it is optimized specifically for the Eee PC.

Upgrading is not so straightforward, since the Array kernel isn't officially released yet for Jaunty.

burvowski
May 28th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Cool beans. I will probably wait until Crunchee 9.04 is officially released before making the plunge then. (though I wonder how close to release 9.10 will be by then :-\)

snowpine
May 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Cool beans. I will probably wait until Crunchee 9.04 is officially released before making the plunge then. (though I wonder how close to release 9.10 will be by then :-\)

There is no development happening on Cruncheee 9.04 at the moment, as "regular" CrunchBang 9.04 supports the eee quite well (and is in its final stages before the official release). There are some threads on the CrunchBang forums about minor 9.04 tweaks for the eee (but nothing that would require it to be a separate distro).

Cruncheee 8.10 works great. :)

wersdaluv
May 29th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks aysiu. I've been looking for a friendly OS for the Eee as I don't have a netbook. All my installations on netbooks are for my friends. Actually, they have been complaining about Ubuntu. I guess, it is too difficult for them to fix compatibility issues. I need something that is really optimized.