PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Minimum Installation Requirements!

Dav Tir Luthier
August 7th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hi guys,

I'm new to all this, so please be patient if my questions are really stupid.:)

I have downloaded the Hardy Heron from the official website, did the check sum, burned the cd, verified it with the burning program, booted to the boot screen, verified again as 100% ok. So I'm pretty sure the cd is fine.

So I'm trying to install the O/S now.

I have tried the standard install option, the various safe graphics mode, noapic and nolapic options, but the installation just won't get to the desktop stage, just keeps reading from the cd and using the hard drive with the wallpaper background visible.

Now the hardware is where I think the problem is.

I'm trying to install using close to minimum requirements as per documentation.

This is what I have:

450 MHz x86 processor
128 MB of system memory (RAM)
20 GB of disk space
VGA graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution
CD-ROM drive

So , I guess my question is this:

Are the minimum requirements in the documentation misleading, and should I just go with the Xubuntu(low spec) install or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dav.

Partyboi2
August 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
128 mb is to low for the ubuntu desktop, they suggest 384mb for hardy. I would suggest installing xubuntu (http://www.xubuntu.org/) with the alternate cd which doesn't require as much ram to install and run.

Edit: no question is stupid, we all started somewhere :)

Dav Tir Luthier
August 7th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Partyboi2,

I have just started the download and will of course let you know how it goes.

Thanks also for responding so promptly. Very cool.

It's ten years since I last installed a version of linux on any system and I can't wait to get back there, but things have obviously moved on a bit...

Thanks again,

Dav.

Dav Tir Luthier
August 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hi guys,

Just to let you all know.

I tried the alternative Ubuntu CD installation with this hardware setup and it worked fine. Limited what you could do after installation and ran quite slowly, but it did work.

So, anyway, I have since installed the alternative Xubunu CD and it's running fine.

Thanks again for your help and advice, I look forward to learning a lot more here on the forum.

Dav.

kerry_s
August 8th, 2008, 11:13 AM
for those specs and you want speed->
http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Dav Tir Luthier
August 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Wow! Now thats cool.

Downloaded it to my thumb drive.

Excellent link, thanks!

Dav!:)

snowpine
August 8th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I agree that the minimum requirements should be more prominent on the download page. (They are on the Release Notes page.) It would have saved me a lot of wasted time when I first got started!