PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newbie: How to updrade from 7.10 to 8.04.1 with live cd?

silvestros
August 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I have Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop and I want to upgrade to 8.04.1 with the 8.04.1 live cd, without internet connection. Is that possible? Does the cd have to be alternate cd or live cd is ok?

If upgrading with live cd is not possible, can you tell me how to do it with internet connection?

Thanks for your help!
Ubuntu rocks!:guitar:

Partyboi2
August 7th, 2008, 11:12 AM
You will need to use the alternate cd to upgrade not the live cd. Or the other method is to
make sure you are up to date with all the updates for gusty then open a terminal and type

update-manager -d or
Press Alt-F2 and type update-manager -d then press enter. This should open update manager with the option to upgrade.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-to-ubuntu-804-lts-hardy-heron.html

silvestros
August 7th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply, but how can I do the upgrade?
Could you tell me how to do it step by step if possible?

silvestros
August 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I mean which commands should I use with the alternate cd if my Gutsy is not fully updated?
thanks again!

Partyboi2
August 7th, 2008, 11:34 AM
open a terminal (applications>accessories>terminal) then type

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradethis will update your system if it is not already. Also make sure all 3rd party repo's are disabled in Software Sources before upgrading.

silvestros
August 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
ok. thanks