PDA

View Full Version : GTK Themes

hermes0710
August 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Hi all,
I just noticed that in www.gnome-look.org the most downloaded theme is something similar to mac. Also in the list Vista-ish themes have good positions too.
I am just wondering why is it that we prefer looks of other os on linux (I belong to this category... ex. I like vista's pointers)?
Shouldn't we just use something that identifies linux in a better way? Like "human" theme or it's modifications?

Lexicon101
August 7th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Tell it to canonical. (Really.. I'd like a good looking default theme for Ubuntu.)

TheSlipstream
August 7th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Linux is about choice. If the user feels that their choice is a Vista or MacOSX look, then go ahead and use it. It's not as though there are any distros that actually use a Mac look as default. We aren't losing our identity. ...I do worry about the several distros with Vista looks, however.

hermes0710
August 7th, 2008, 10:57 AM
My reference was on us and not on the distros. If linux is what we consider to be a stable and unique os then why do WE, the users, prefer to give it a look of other operating systems?

Lexicon101
August 7th, 2008, 11:08 AM
さあ、な?
Who knows?
It's a paradox. Might just be because many distributions (including this one) come packaged with an icon set and theme that look like they were made in the early 70s?

hermes0710
August 7th, 2008, 11:18 AM
さあ、な?
Who knows?
It's a paradox. Might just be because many distributions (including this one) come packaged with an icon set and theme that look like they were made in the early 70s?

Probably...

Zero Prime
August 7th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Or one could think of it like this. Most themes made look like other OS themes. Even Human resembles Windows 9X. There is only so much you can do with the appearance of a panel bar and Windows. Some of the best themes though (IMO) don't look like anything except for the authors imagination. Have you seen the themes made by TheRob. They are in a world of their own and look great.

graabein
August 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Well I think that people who are getting into GNU/Linux are discovering they can customize their desktop to look like pretty much anything that already exists, so it's only natural that many try to simulate the bigger boys at one time or another. That makes for a lot of downloads.

How many who are actually using OS X or Vista like themes is not necessarily the same as number of downloads.

nrs
August 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
If you truely feel that way you could always use: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/KDE4+Oxygen+new+port+for+GNOME?content=86653 rated highly. Great if you like Oxygen but not KDE4, or like KDE4 and want some consistency.

BigSilly
August 7th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Have you seen the themes made by TheRob. They are in a world of their own and look great.

I'm currently using his "SlicknesS Black" theme, and I have to say I think it's fantastic. I thought it was a very nice looking, unique-to-Linux theme, then some sod told me it looks like Vista! Still, I don't think it does at all. I don't like my Linux to look like either Mac or Vista, but hey it's up to others what they choose.

EnGorDiaz
August 7th, 2008, 01:47 PM
well i choose the mac look because mac(with bsd) made unix is great to have the god of all unix as ur theme please dont kill me ppl for saying this yes i guess i can say im a fan boy of mac but meh

Zero Prime
August 7th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I'm currently using his "SlicknesS Black" theme, and I have to say I think it's fantastic. I thought it was a very nice looking, unique-to-Linux theme, then some sod told me it looks like Vista! Still, I don't think it does at all. I don't like my Linux to look like either Mac or Vista, but hey it's up to others what they choose.

It seems as though if someone sees a black rounded panel bar, then they say it looks like Vista. I say if you use a flat panel bar then it looks like Windows 9X and Mac. You can only do so much with a panel before it gets to outrageous. I don't think it is possible to find a scheme for the panel that screams "Linux". Some will say it is more Linux than others, but if you think about it, they will look like something else.

BTW: For those that say black rounded panels are copying Vista, well, I had black rounded panels before Vista so I say Vista copied Linux.

billgoldberg
August 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hi all,
I just noticed that in www.gnome-look.org the most downloaded theme is something similar to mac. Also in the list Vista-ish themes have good positions too.
I am just wondering why is it that we prefer looks of other os on linux (I belong to this category... ex. I like vista's pointers)?
Shouldn't we just use something that identifies linux in a better way? Like "human" theme or it's modifications?

It's all relative.

If you count all the themes, you'll see that most people don't download vista or osx like themes.

That being said, I can see why people would try that.

Those themes look pretty good.

--

I don't use them (I have in the past).

I'm becoming more and more of a fan of the clearlooks themes.

And on my fluxbox pc, I use Nova-blue or Nova-gold

billgoldberg
August 7th, 2008, 03:07 PM
well i choose the mac look because mac(with bsd) made unix is great to have the god of all unix as ur theme please dont kill me ppl for saying this yes i guess i can say im a fan boy of mac but meh

Why exactly are you on this forum then?

hermes0710
August 7th, 2008, 05:16 PM
And on my fluxbox pc, I use Nova-blue or Nova-gold

Nice...

joshdudeha
August 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Hmm..

When i first installed Ubuntu, I used to want to make it look like vista (this was back when Vista had just come out). I liked the look of it.

Oh how naive I was.

I hate the look of it now, sure they worked a bit on the theme for Windows Vista, but I really think it is quite ugly.

Now, I prefer clean, grey or silver themes.
Or sometimes, the odd dark themes. (: