PDA

View Full Version : help with bash scripting

akiratheoni
August 7th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I'm an admin on a forum that needs a bash script that'll be used on a crontab.

Here's the scenario... the file structure looks like this:

exchange/backups/
exchange/backups/sites_0:00_8-01-08.txt
exchange/backups/sites_1:00_8-01-08.txt
exchange/backups/sites_2:00_8-01-08.txt
exchange/backups/sites_3:00_8-01-08.txt
exchange/sites.txt
exchange/admin.php
exchange/index.php

As you can see, the sites.txt in the exchange/ folder is backed up hourly.

Now, for some reason there's an error in the index.php file (not quite sure what it is) that renames the sites.txt to sites_.txt and thus breaks everything >.<

When the sites.txt is renamed to sites_.txt, everything in the sites.txt is lost and it's a blank file.

So basically I need to code a script that every hour it will check if "sites_.txt" exists, and if it does, restore the most recent sites.txt back up and delete the sites_.txt

I was only able to create a bash script that would back up sites.txt... I'm a complete noob at bash scripting. And this is completely out of my league, I have no idea how to do this.

It would be great though if someone did this and if they explained what each line does (it's not necessary though... but I do want to learn bash scripting)

Thanks everyone. If this is in the wrong forum, move it to the appropriate one :P thanks. If there's any questions or any confusion, please ask them and I'll clear it up so you can help.

master5o1
August 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I do believe that bash could be like this:

cp exchange/sites.txt exchange/backups/sites_[time and date function].txt

that is just a simple copy command but idk really.
also, wouldn't it make *more* sense to have the backups dated as sites_yyyy-mm-dd_hh-mm-ss.txt so that the least changing numbers are closer to the beginning of the filename.

ps:

!#/bin/bash

cp exchange/sites.txt exchange/backups/sites_[date&time].txt

blah blah maybe like that

akiratheoni
August 7th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the help. Your way makes it a lot simpler, I'll just have it copy the latest back up into the sites.txt every hour or so.

But the only question I have is, how do I have the script grab the most recent copy of the backup? Thanks again, your help is appreciated. I was over complicating things :P so your way makes it a lot easier.

clash
August 7th, 2008, 10:54 AM
something like this perhaps

!#/bin/bash
COUNT=0
while [ $COUNT = 0 ]; (loop forever)
do
if [ -e "dir/sites_.txt" ] (if sites_.txt exists)
then
cp dir/sites.txt dir/sites_date&time.txt (make a timestamped copy)
fi
sleep 10 (10 seconds or whatever)
done

But honestly. Wouldn't it be better to fix the problem in the php instead of using a hack ?

edit -> Why not post the relevant section of php here ?

akiratheoni
August 7th, 2008, 11:25 AM
something like this perhaps

!#/bin/bash
COUNT=0
while [ $COUNT = 0 ]; (loop forever)
do
if [ -e "dir/sites_.txt" ] (if sites_.txt exists)
then
cp dir/sites.txt dir/sites_date&time.txt (make a timestamped copy)
fi
sleep 10 (10 seconds or whatever)
done

But honestly. Wouldn't it be better to fix the problem in the php instead of using a hack ?

edit -> Why not post the relevant section of php here ?

The guy who wrote the PHP code is on vacation for like two weeks >.< and seeing as I don't know any PHP, I wouldn't know which section of the PHP to put (and the other admin of the site is really paranoid and might not like me posting the code here...)

akiratheoni
August 8th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Okay, I'll post what I believe are the relevant portions of the php code:

$file = fopen("sites.txt", "r");
$newfile = fopen("sites_.txt", "w");
$total = intval(fgets($file));
$highest = intval(fgets($file));

That's near the beginning... this one is near the end:

// Finish things up
fclose($file);
fclose($newfile);
unlink("sites.txt");
rename("sites_.txt", "sites.txt");

Like I said I don't know any PHP but I looked up the fopen function on php.net and it said it opens a file. It's kind of weird because around the beginning of the php code, it attempts to open up the sites_.txt... but when that function is run (as far as I know), the only .txt file that should exist is sites.txt, therefore it's opening a non-existent file. I'm not sure if there's an issue with that since I don't know about php but that's just what I've observed.