PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD wont boot to install

Beyla
August 7th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Hi,

I downloaded Ubuntu recently and burned it to a cd (checked for cd integrity and it was fine) and I rebooted to boot from the cd but I got an error message when I selected "install Ubuntu".

I checked here and it suggested changing quiet splash-- with a couple of commands (nothing, noapic nolapic, acpi=off, irqpoll, lapic pci=routeirq) I tried all of them and none of them worked.

Was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas or if there was a way to install Ubuntu straight from vista desktop?

overdrank
August 7th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hi,

I downloaded Ubuntu recently and burned it to a cd (checked for cd integrity and it was fine) and I rebooted to boot from the cd but I got an error message when I selected "install Ubuntu".

I checked here and it suggested changing quiet splash-- with a couple of commands (nothing, noapic nolapic, acpi=off, irqpoll, lapic pci=routeirq) I tried all of them and none of them worked.

Was wondering if anyone else had any other ideas or if there was a way to install Ubuntu straight from vista desktop?

Hi and welcome, could you give us some system specs? Then you may want to do a checksum on the iso
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
You may also look at Wubi for install within windows.

Beyla
August 7th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm using:

q6600 quad core intel cpu
evga 780i nforce mobo
9800 nvidia gtx
4 gbs of ram
and running windows vista 64bit

overdrank
August 7th, 2008, 06:35 AM
What was the error you received? With the graphics card you may have to use the F4 option.

Beyla
August 7th, 2008, 06:36 AM
I cant remember the exact error, I'll try again and try the f4 option as well, thanks

prshah
August 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
or if there was a way to install Ubuntu straight from vista desktop?

Yes actually, you can; start vista, put in the ubuntu cd, and look for an option in the autostarted program called "Install within Windows" (words to that effect, I think it's the second button on the screen.)

This is OK for a short term measure, but in the long run, you'd probably want to go full ubuntu; but see if wubi (install within windows) works for you at first.