PDA

View Full Version : is there a market for ubuntu preinstalled?

opensensesolutions
December 21st, 2004, 06:40 PM
I started Open Sense Solutions back in April of this year before Ubuntu's rapid rise in popularity, and it seems we are duplicating a lot of your work in our goal to create a debian based, stable and up-to-date, easy to use Linux machine. Currently we ship a slightly tweaked version of Debian on our systems, but it seems that maybe we should be using Ubuntu instead. It is a lot of work to stay on top of security updates and new features. We want to focus on integrating and supporting up-to-date software and hardware that other vendors don't ship.

We may be interested in installing Ubuntu on our quality hardware, installing and testing non-standard features like LVM, KDE, and multiple simultaneous users, and then shipping preconfigured machines.
We have stayed away from distros like Suse, Libranet, and Linspire because they are not free as in freedom. We make all of our programs GPL, and we want to be sure our customers have the freedom to copy and redistribute as they wish. We look to add value in integration and support, and we would donate a portion of each sale back to the Ubuntu project. The only non open source software packages we currently use are the nVidia binary drivers and a few web plugins.

So, do people think there would be a need/interest for machines with Ubuntu preinstalled? The benefit would be zero installation hastle, guaranteed hardware support, and advanced features.
What other key features would people be looking for?
If you want to see what we are currently shipping now, check out http://opensensesolutions.com
Thanks,
Mike

eldrich_rebello
December 21st, 2004, 07:08 PM
would be a wonderful concept to bring to developing countries like India.specially if it lowers h/w costs.fully working hardware and a linux install.compelling choice.

ubuntu_demon
December 21st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Good idea. Would be great for average-desktop-users and people with a low budget.

Maybe use an open source videocard for this ?

opensource videocard that is being developed :
http://icculus.org/manticore/

az
December 21st, 2004, 07:23 PM
"installing and testing non-standard features like LVM, KDE, and multiple simultaneous users, and then shipping preconfigured machines"

You can tweak the debian sid repositories in sync with the next Ubuntu release to make your own unofficial (or officially supported by your company) repository of KDE and other sundry packages.

There seems to be a demand for this.

This would be an excellent way of giving back to the community. It is also a more effective marketing technique than just leaving a link on a public forum.

In fact, a feature that is missing in Ubuntu is the online packages.debian.org search feature. If you included that with your repository - where users could search the list of packages you offer before adding the url to their sources.list - they would also be exposed to an advert... Not too bad so long as the packages stay GPL...

ubuntu_demon
December 21st, 2004, 07:50 PM
"installing and testing non-standard features like LVM, KDE, and multiple simultaneous users, and then shipping preconfigured machines"

You can tweak the debian sid repositories in sync with the next Ubuntu release to make your own unofficial (or officially supported by your company) repository of KDE and other sundry packages.

There seems to be a demand for this.

This would be an excellent way of giving back to the community. It is also a more effective marketing technique than just leaving a link on a public forum.

In fact, a feature that is missing in Ubuntu is the online packages.debian.org search feature. If you included that with your repository - where users could search the list of packages you offer before adding the url to their sources.list - they would also be exposed to an advert... Not too bad so long as the packages stay GPL...
I would rather like to see giving back to the Ubuntu repositories instead

az
December 22nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
I do not think that supporting kde will ever be a part of ubuntu - just a sideshow kind of thing. The point is to streamline the base system.

I you want all the choice in the world, Debian already is there. If you want a stable supported desktop - Ubuntu.

The demand for kde is not in the Ubuntu mainstream.

ubuntu_demon
December 22nd, 2004, 11:21 AM
I do not think that supporting kde will ever be a part of ubuntu - just a sideshow kind of thing. The point is to streamline the base system.

I you want all the choice in the world, Debian already is there. If you want a stable supported desktop - Ubuntu.

The demand for kde is not in the Ubuntu mainstream.
there's the Kubuntu project

https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/Kubuntu
and :
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=8517&highlight=Kubuntu

Let's keep Ubuntu a gnome based distro (but good support for KDE libs would be nice)

machiner
December 27th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I think you asked the wrong question..."Is there a market for preinstalled Ubuntu..."

In the world of selling (offering a solution to a problem) everyting must move, and if there's no pre-existing market for an item, you make one.

Could I do it -- of course, It's not really an issue if I, or you, or anyone could do it...

<----------edited because I was longwinded and silly, and maybe a little condescending.--------------------->

Yeah -- there's a market, and if you want my help, you've got it.

In fact, as an aside, I asked my wife to forward my list of needed spare parts so I can build machines for people that can't afford one and load it up with ubuntu -- sure, no money, on the upfront, but worthy nonetheless.

ps - I never proof my postings. Expect grammatical and diction errors.