PDA

View Full Version : When Google Owns You

ice60
August 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
i saw this link in a few RSS feeds. i still can't understand why everyone wants to give google all their stuff in the first place!
http://www.chrisbrogan.com/when-google-owns-you/

init1
August 7th, 2008, 04:09 AM
i saw this link in a few RSS feeds. i still can't understand why everyone wants to give google all their stuff in the first place!
http://www.chrisbrogan.com/when-google-owns-you/
Well it's extremely useful. I've got all my feeds on iGoogle, and a lot of my work on Google Docs. I also have a gmail, but I never use it.

smartboyathome
August 7th, 2008, 04:16 AM
I also find google extremely useful. I use Google Docs, Google Calendar (for school), and Gmail. If you don't like it being on Google's servers, install the application set on your own server, it is free after all (I think open source as well, but idk for sure).

Woormy
August 7th, 2008, 04:23 AM
Call me paranoid, but I don't get it either. It's too much trust to give to one company, especially when we know they have cooperated with the US and Chinese governments in ways that are unethical.

adamogardner
August 7th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I'm observing to see how this plays out.8)

mrgnash
August 7th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Read Google's user agreements carefully before using any of their services, and you will see that the information they collect is strictly anonymous, and only used for Adsense, and other related products in much the same way that Last.FM monitors the music you listen to, in order to determine what else you might like. Moreover, all your data is encrypted, and whether or not other individuals can access said data is under your control.

Personally, I am not at all worried about Google compromising my privacy/security -- although I might feel differently were I residing in China ;) -- but I definitely would be inconvenienced, not to mention irate, if my account was suddenly suspended.

geogur
August 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
there is your problem using gmail . a public email account ? yahoo did that to me. big deal i started a free yahoo email account to use on public pc`s they took it away . no big there was nothing there to get upset over . use a better email account and google away.