PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add/Remove

Pen3356
August 7th, 2008, 03:33 AM
For some reason every time I try to add/remove/upgrade a program it says that an error occurred and that I should manually run the "dpkg--configure-a" to correct the problem. I'm really frustrated, I'm new to Ubuntu and I just simply don't know what to do.

iaculallad
August 7th, 2008, 03:35 AM
For some reason every time I try to add/remove/upgrade a program it says that an error occurred and that I should manually run the "dpkg--configure-a" to correct the problem. I'm really frustrated, I'm new to Ubuntu and I just simply don't know what to do.

Go to Applications->Accessories->Terminal, this should open your terminal and issue the command below to correct the error: Supply your password (password not being echoed back on screen is normal, just enter your password and hit enter key).

sudo dpkg--configure-a

Pen3356
August 7th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Go to Applications->Accessories->Terminal, this should open your terminal and issue the command below to correct the error: Supply your password (password not being echoed back on screen is normal, just enter your password and hit enter key).

sudo dpkg--configure-a

I just tried that, and it says "command not found"

iaculallad
August 7th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I just tried that, and it says "command not found"

That would be:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

There's a space between dpkg and --configure and -a

Pen3356
August 7th, 2008, 03:50 AM
That would be:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

There's a space between dpkg and --configure and -a

Thank you so much! I felt very illiterate. [I installed Ubuntu about 2 days ago; I left windows]

iaculallad
August 7th, 2008, 03:55 AM
That's a good choice. Goodluck and Welcome to Ubuntu (Linux in General).

Pen3356
August 7th, 2008, 03:59 AM
That's a good choice. Goodluck and Welcome to Ubuntu (Linux in General).

Thank you, Which Messenger Program do you recommend in which the webcam can be used?

iaculallad
August 7th, 2008, 04:05 AM
Thank you, Which Messenger Program do you recommend in which the webcam can be used?

Try Ekiga. It supports webcam and VoIP (SIP) and offers SIP messages too.

Pen3356
August 7th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Try Ekiga. It supports webcam and VoIP (SIP) and offers SIP messages too.

will that work with somebody that has MSN?

iaculallad
August 7th, 2008, 04:19 AM
will that work with somebody that has MSN?

Try to read this page (http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Which_programs_work_with_Ekiga_%3F) and find it out yourself.

Pen3356
August 7th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Try to read this page (http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Which_programs_work_with_Ekiga_%3F) and find it out yourself.

Once Again, Thank You!