PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Transmission bittorrent

rhomp2002
August 7th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I am trying to down load a livecd using Transmission. I downloaded the .torrent file for the livecd to the desktop. I right-clicked and told it to open with transmission. It looked as if it were going. Then I clicked the icon for the transmission and it showed that it had downloaded 280KB of 1.0 GB but gave the message that Tracker hasn't responded yet. Retrying... -idle. Does this mean that because nobody else is downloading and seeding, I cannot download this file? Is there a way for me to initiative the download and seed process if nobody else is doing so.

This is the first time I am trying to use a torrent and I really have no idea whether I am doing it right or if these is something else I need to do to get this going.

I read all the stuff I could find on the bittorrent and transmission and it appears I am doing just what they said to do and if I display top in the terminal it shows transmission as working but nothing is happening. Most confusing!

SOULRiDER
August 7th, 2008, 02:04 AM
It does not mean that no one is connected. It means that it cannot contact the tracker to get peer information. Try again later, maybe the tracker is down temporarily.

tuxxy
August 7th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Do you have to use torrent, is there not a mirror provided by the distro for you to download the live CD?

rhomp2002
August 7th, 2008, 02:21 AM
No, the only ways to download are with torrent. I was looking for a mirror that would let me download without torrent and there were none there. I have downloaded from mirrors many times with no problems. This is the first time I have tried torrent and I am not impressed so far at all!!:guitar::guitar::popcorn:

dhughes
August 7th, 2008, 02:28 AM
...This is the first time I am trying to use a torrent and I really have no idea whether I am doing it right or if these is something else I need to do to get this going...

At a website where the torrent link is available, say thepiratebay.org, you would click on the link "Download this torrent", when the box pops up choose "Open With..." and then choose Transmission to open the torrent, not download it, choose open...and then as I said choose the application you use to open torrents with in this case Transmission.

It sounds like you just downloaded the link and not selected Transmission to handle the torrent link.

Next thing you want to do or first really is open up ports on your router so Transmission opens (downloads) torrents faster.

rhomp2002
August 7th, 2008, 04:00 AM
No, I did download the link and then I did tell it to open with transmission. It then just sat there and did nada. I then went to Kubuntu and tried the same thing. I got the message that the tracker was not receiving a response, that it was still trying and was waiting for a reply. That is why I am wondering if there was something more I needed to do or if there was a problem with nobody seeding so there was nothing for me to download out there. I just wish they had made the straight download available without the torrent. That I have done a score of times with no problem at all. This just does not seem to tell me what it is doing, if anything.:confused::confused:

dhughes
August 7th, 2008, 04:10 AM
No, I did download the link and then I did tell it to open with transmission...

Yes I saw that but I meant just choose Open as soon as you click on it, do not download the link first, only choose Open, and use Transmission to open it.

Maybe it's the same thing to download a link pointing to the torrent although I never do that, maybe try to open it right away. It's worth a shot who knows.