PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Install LAMP without internet?

skullmunky
August 7th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I have a desktop machine in a place with no internet, which I want to use for some (local) LAMP development. I have a laptop with wifi, so I can go out and get things and bring them back home. I know I can use the handy "download script" option in Synaptic, but didn't know about that until I drove out to a place with WiFi. I could just drive back home, generate it, come back tomorrow and download the packages, but out of curiosity I'm looking for other methods too. Here's the trick - the desktop (target machine) is 8.04, and the laptop is 7.10. So I can generate the package dependency list here on the laptop and download it, but won't it be wrong when I take it home?

Is there a way to generate a dependency list for a different base system than what you're running? Like a kind of virtual machine apt-get, I guess? Or is that just ridiculous?

mrsteveman1
August 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Better to just update your laptop to the same version, unless theres still something wrong keeping you from upgrading?

skullmunky
August 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
yeah, that would be a good solution! :p in the meantime i got my cable hooked up, so it's all worked out in the end...