PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Reinstalling from LiveCD

kuxpac383
August 7th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I want to reinstall Ubuntu because I had some GNOME errors. I'd like to keep my /home intact because I have some files on there I'd rather not lose. I also am enclosing a photo of what Gparted shows me.

sda6=my /home folder I believe.
sda5=GRUB...I think
sda7...not sure what that is for.

Your help would be much apprecaited. Or any guides that you I can be pointed to would be great also. I just am really scared of destroying my photos and music on /home.

Thanks again,

kuxpac383
August 7th, 2008, 12:15 AM
oops forgot to include the photo. Here is how my Gparted looks....http://i38.tinypic.com/nlzo7c.png

Pumalite
August 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Backup in DVD's whatever you have in /home. Then delete sda4, sda5, sda6 and sda7. This will give you a large free space (it will merge with the present unallocated space). Make an extended partition of that free space and inside that install Ubuntu.
You can use Gparted Live CD for the job:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779&abmode=1
Burn the iso to disk and boot from it.

kuxpac383
August 7th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Thanks! Here goes nothing.....

Pumalite
August 7th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Don't forget to backup your Windows before you start.

dynamethod
August 7th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Yeah just make sure you backup your stuff dude, i had a partitions almost identical to yours last night, and i got the "Grub Error 17", done all everything to fix it and now its finally kaput, i then had to format the entire Harddrive and guess what, the Live CD installation still gives me Grub 17 lol(from one partition, being ext3(and space for swap)) I've unfortuantly had to revert back to windows xp temporarily lol

kuxpac383
August 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
This might be a stupid question but I am going to ask anyway. If I am running off the liveCD. How am I supposed to back-up stuff to DVD's?

dynamethod
August 7th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Use a flash drive thats large enough to hold your back'd up data, if you dont have one well.... welcome to my world lol

kuxpac383
August 7th, 2008, 12:58 AM
How do I get premission to copy my files to my flash drive? It keeps saying I don't have premission.

kuxpac383
August 7th, 2008, 01:13 AM
How do I get premission to copy my files to my flash drive? It keeps saying I don't have premission.

nevermind, figured it out