PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partition setup uses ... no documentation here

sbalick
August 6th, 2008, 10:32 PM
OK... trying to figure out how to use the partitions ("Use As"). The documentation on the ubuntu site does not address this issue in the installation process. Some are self-explanatory, some are not - such as the swap area. Other uses

Brute force trial and error may succeed here, but much to the dismay of a potentially happy customer.

I was instructed to set up a few partitions on my HD to alleviate old BIOS & large HD issues - Error 18 from Grub. The ubuntu site & docs do not address this point for new users.

tech9
August 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM
OK... trying to figure out how to use the partitions ("Use As"). The documentation on the ubuntu site does not address this issue in the installation process. Some are self-explanatory, some are not - such as the swap area. Other uses

Brute force trial and error may succeed here, but much to the dismay of a potentially happy customer.

I was instructed to set up a few partitions on my HD to alleviate old BIOS & large HD issues - Error 18 from Grub. The ubuntu site & docs do not address this point for new users.

are you doing this manually?

Unless you have more experience, It's easier to create partitions with the liveCD

sbalick
August 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Yes. Akin to my earlier statement, I have to set this up manually - and am doing so through Live CD - since my system and BIOS are old (6 yrs) and a "newer" 250GB HD (2 yrs).

Suggestions on reading material or any info on the items in the installation list?