PDA

View Full Version : Hacker Game

eliastk
August 6th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Sorry for making 2 threads about the ALMOST same thing.

Well, I want to make an onlinegame, a browser based game.

My Idea:
In the game , you will be a hacker.
You are hacking things, improving skills, buy better hardware, and maybe create softwares..
And then you level up, upgrading and hack more advanced things, that require more skills and so on.
And you get more respect and other hackers join you, and in a team and you hack together and stuff like that.
Hack banks etc. to earn money to buy new things..

(Remember of course this is only in the game, it is not in my mind to help people learn how to hack in to peoles computers etc. in real, JUST IN THE GAME!)

Don't missunderstand me, I don't want anyone to bulid the site for me, I want someone to build the site WITH me!

The site will be in PHP, so you must know the language PHP at least pretty ok.
Most of the PHP coding will be inserting and changing values in the database(s) and things like that. (You name it)

If you think this is a good idea, PM me, write to me here or write an email to eliastk@mail.com

Newuser1111
August 6th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Post Removed. I think I misunderstood your post.

MaxIBoy
August 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
The idea has merit, but maybe instead of making a skill/xp/level-up style game, you should make your own heavily simplified scripting language just for the game (drag-and-drop even, with blocks for control structures,) so people actually have to create "code." It would more challenging and cool that way. You could even handle "leveling up" by rewarding people with manual pages documenting new features of your "language."

eliastk
August 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
The idea has merit, but maybe instead of making a skill/xp/level-up style game, you should make your own heavily simplified scripting language just for the game (drag-and-drop even, with blocks for control structures,) so people actually have to create "code." It would more challenging and cool that way. You could even handle "leveling up" by rewarding people with manual pages documenting new features of your "language."

Hmm.. I'm afraid the game would not even have half as many players if it was like that, but it's also a good idea. I'm mean, you shouldn't have any special skills to join. I want it to be able for everyon to join. not just coders.

MaxIBoy
August 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Could be accomplished with a drag-n'-drop language. Like, have you ever used Game Maker? Or EasyC? I have. I haven't done so for many years now, having moved onto Python and then C++, but that's what got me started.

I've found that it's not hard to learn; it just looks intimidating. Putting a drag-n'-drop facade in front of it gets rid of the intimidation.

eliastk
August 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I'm sorry, but I still "like" my idea.

eliastk
August 6th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Is there anyone out there who wants to help me?

MaxIBoy
August 6th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Sorry, I don't know PHP.

I also "Like" my idea, and I might want to make it someday. Thanks for getting me thinking on the subject!

lukjad
August 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
There is a site like that called www.hackthissite.org. It may give you some ideas.

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 12:03 AM
There is a site like that called www.hackthissite.org. It may give you some ideas.

I know that site, but my idea is not about real hacking, it's a game.

Dr Small
August 7th, 2008, 12:07 AM
What about Cyber-Wars ?
http://cyber-wars.com/

It was a fun, online game.

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM
What about Cyber-Wars ?
http://cyber-wars.com/

It was a fun, online game.

Yes, but I'd thought of a lot more realitybased though..

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Is there anyone who knows php who can help me?

Koori23
August 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM
what about the game Uplink? I have it. It's pretty cool..

It's not online however.

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 11:36 AM
what about the game Uplink? I have it. It's pretty cool..

It's not online however.

A bit like thet, but again, a lot more realitybased. And browserbased.

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Please, is there anyone who can help me?

Tux.Ice
August 7th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I like eliastik's idea, as there actually is a game in which you do this, however i forget the name.

I know PHP pretty well, however i am currently too busy, if you dont already have a domain, i reccommend onthedotwebdesign.com

AHHHH! I found the game- http://www.jarkey.net/playgames/hacker_game.htm

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hmm... , I thought the game would be a little different, my idea was to, like.. create a hacker , you decide the look of it, OS, hardware and so on, and then give him "orders" and make him hack stuff and buy things anf help him to become more powerful and respected in the "hackerworld".

Tux.Ice
August 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM
i know thats just for example, ttyl

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I will be an MMORPG! MMORPG @ Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game)

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
bump, I still haven't found anyont to help me.

Tux.Ice
August 7th, 2008, 08:29 PM
cant help with mmorpg's

eliastk
August 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
But someone else maybe can? I don't think it's going to be an advanced game though. Just enough to get people playing it :P

eliastk
August 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Ok, I'll fix it myself, I'm looking for a good name tough.. Suggestions?

fiddler616
August 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
(Sorry only read the first page, but I'm sure this isn't a duplicate. Edit: it's not. At all.)
I would pay money for an RPG-ish game (about hackers or whatever) in which there was increasingly difficult computer-monsters who each had a weakness which could be discovered in any kind of Diablo-ish way. An example for an easy one would to find a clue that says a monster really likes programs that say hello to him, and comes bundled with a mythic rune-stone (or whatever) that says "Hello" and the way to beat him would be to drag a box called [print ""] (without brackets) to a screen, and then drag your special Hello rune into the quotes, hit a big red button, and watch the monster die.
As things got more difficult, the player would gradually learn Python.
The above sounds kind of lame, but I'm sure some creative fellow could turn it into a decently fun game.

Nitrolinken
August 18th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Sorry for making 2 threads about the ALMOST same thing.

Well, I want to make an onlinegame, a browser based game.

My Idea:
In the game , you will be a hacker.
You are hacking things, improving skills, buy better hardware, and maybe create softwares..
And then you level up, upgrading and hack more advanced things, that require more skills and so on.
And you get more respect and other hackers join you, and in a team and you hack together and stuff like that.
Hack banks etc. to earn money to buy new things..

(Remember of course this is only in the game, it is not in my mind to help people learn how to hack in to peoles computers etc. in real, JUST IN THE GAME!)

Don't missunderstand me, I don't want anyone to bulid the site for me, I want someone to build the site WITH me!

The site will be in PHP, so you must know the language PHP at least pretty ok.
Most of the PHP coding will be inserting and changing values in the database(s) and things like that. (You name it)

If you think this is a good idea, PM me, write to me here or write an email to eliastk@mail.com
Why does this remind me of a game which name is Uplink? :p
If anything, a game in PHP (open source) with the concept of Uplink would be awesome.
I mean, what if the other agents would be users? Hmm..

Although, a desktop version of that game with the possibility of a server acting like a link between the other agents (gamemaster) would be even more awesome, as speed would be a lot better.

Just me 3 Norwegian coins.

TBOL3
August 18th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Well, there was a game called mylink, but I don't think it ever worked well (a FLOSS uplink clone).

http://www.happypenguin.org/show?MyLink

jimi_hendrix
August 23rd, 2008, 06:01 PM

i read it...is it legal?

MaxIBoy
August 23rd, 2008, 06:08 PM
(Sorry only read the first page, but I'm sure this isn't a duplicate. Edit: it's not. At all.)
I would pay money for an RPG-ish game (about hackers or whatever) in which there was increasingly difficult computer-monsters who each had a weakness which could be discovered in any kind of Diablo-ish way. An example for an easy one would to find a clue that says a monster really likes programs that say hello to him, and comes bundled with a mythic rune-stone (or whatever) that says "Hello" and the way to beat him would be to drag a box called [print ""] (without brackets) to a screen, and then drag your special Hello rune into the quotes, hit a big red button, and watch the monster die.
As things got more difficult, the player would gradually learn Python.
The above sounds kind of lame, but I'm sure some creative fellow could turn it into a decently fun game. That was kind of like my idea, only with an even more simplified language. And more of a hackerly setting, where you've got the source code to an operating system on a simulated computer, (but really simple, so like "readFileFromHardDrive" is all in one short, abstract function that you don't have to deal with usually.) The idea is to get really secure without being so secure that the computer can't function. The computer randomly performs normal tasks like sending and receiving simulated mail, downloading stuff, things like that, and false positives from your security system make you loose points.

I'm already gonna do that in my game though.

conundrumx
August 23rd, 2008, 06:14 PM
This is a stupid idea based on the common perception of the word "hacker."

Barrucadu
August 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
I like the idea you refuted where you have to write code, and levelling up gets you manpages or something. That'll be more like hacking, and far far less like cracking :)

MaxIBoy
August 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you.

Hackers fix security flaws.

All though you're right, perhaps this should be changed to "black hat" game.

Canis familiaris
August 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM

Thats an interesting site!

A great way to test a website's security actually.

jimi_hendrix
August 23rd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Thats an interesting site!

A great way to test a website's security actually.

id join it if i knew it was legal for a fact

Barrucadu
August 23rd, 2008, 09:31 PM
Of course it's legal, they are giving you permission to do it.

ikt
August 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM

It's a great idea, uplink is a really cool game, however it's true that the word cracker should probably be used instead.

happysmileman
August 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
id join it if i knew it was legal for a fact

Perfectly legal to go there, do all the challenges, and learn everything they teach.

They teach you a lot of things that could be used illegally though. But it's no crime to know how to do those things, only a crime to put them into practise.

scragar
August 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
I know PHP and would be willing to help, let me know what you need help with etc, and I'll see what I can whip up.

tom66
August 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
I have good PHP knowledge and have made two sim games so far (both fairly successful) and am working on another one. PM me and I could see what I can do.

jimi_hendrix
August 24th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Of course it's legal, they are giving you permission to do it.

right but are the skills legal...if i read this right then after i do some ill learn how to hack otehr sites and stuff

unca.paka
August 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
It's how you use those skills is where the legality issues arise.
Not like the government keeps a list of skills that are legal or not...except Staff skills of course

jimi_hendrix
August 24th, 2008, 01:48 PM
so its legal to know how to deface websites but illegal to?

Barrucadu
August 24th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Yes. If it were illegal to know how, I imagine something like the Thought Police in Orwell's 1984 would already be in existence.

tom66
August 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Why don't you make everything fictional? For example, to break in to a computer, you could:

- pingnet 24ABF-38-SYSTEM
- get 'basic_access'
- exec 'basic_access'
- dload < [/etc/passwords concat /etc/users concat /etc/shadows concat /etc/hashes]
- crackpsw dload.temp2
- login crackeduser crackedpass

All are made up. That can't really be construed into real life.

happysmileman
August 24th, 2008, 05:00 PM
so its legal to know how to deface websites but illegal to?

Yes, after all, if you're making a website, you have to know how it could be defaced before you can know how to make it secure, and many users on websites like hackthissite learn for that reason (to learn about security), or just for fun.

happysmileman
August 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Why don't you make everything fictional? For example, to break in to a computer, you could:

- pingnet 24ABF-38-SYSTEM
- get 'basic_access'
- exec 'basic_access'
- dload < [/etc/passwords concat /etc/users concat /etc/shadows concat /etc/hashes]
- crackpsw dload.temp2
- login crackeduser crackedpass

All are made up. That can't really be construed into real life.

Generally hacker games use 'ping', 'connect', 'crack', 'download' and 'exec' or something similar, the more realistic it is the less fun it is to the casual user. (I don't see why, I used to love the challenges at rootthisbox.org and stuff :P)

unca.paka
August 24th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Bioshock got hacking right...move that pipe.